How to update GPO to include new Vista settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to update GPO to include new Vista settings

Hello, I need the GPOs on my server 2003 to include settings for new Vista computers on the network.

Please advice how to do it?

Thanks

Ziv

Re: How to update GPO to include new Vista settings

This may help you: -

Recommended rollout
    Upgrade the Group Policy administrators' workstations to Windows Vista. All Group Policy management will now be done from the computers running Windows Vista.

(Optional) Create a Central Store on SYSVOL for each Active Directory Primary Domain Controller (PDC), where Group Policy is managed by administrators running Windows Vista. Populate the Central Store on each PDC with ADMX/ADML files from the Group Policy administrator's Windows Vista workstation. Read the Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=75124.

Create new GPOs (or update the existing GPOs) to include the new Windows Vista Group Policy settings you may wish to use.

Note You may wish to link these GPOs to the OU that will contain new Windows Vista domain-joined workstations.

Note In rare cases, you may need to extend the AD schema to accommodate the new settings.

Deploy Windows Vista workstations per the deployment project.

Note New or updated GPOs will apply to Windows Vista workstations as appropriate.

Also refer http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
    Cheers!!
    MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Thanks entadm,

I am not clear about this part:
      (Optional) Create a Central Store on SYSVOL for each Active Directory Primary Domain Controller (PDC), where Group Policy is managed by administrators running Windows Vista. Populate the Central Store on each PDC with ADMX/ADML files from the Group Policy administrator's Windows Vista workstation. Read the Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=75124.

Create new GPOs (or update the existing GPOs) to include the new Windows Vista Group Policy settings you may wish to use.

Note You may wish to link these GPOs to the OU that will contain new Windows Vista domain-joined workstations.

Note In rare cases, you may need to extend the AD schema to accommodate the new settings.

What excatly do I need to do?
      Is it just to create a new GPO for a Vista computer? Or is it more than that?

Many thanks

Comment

First thing need to understand that you cannot fully control a GPO with "ADMX/ADML" from Win2000, XP or 2003 machine.

Which means you can edit part of settings from such GPOs, for ADMX/ADML part you need to have Vista Workstation or longhorn server.

Have you ever looked at your SYSVOL folder, it will have directory with the name same as your Domain Name & will contain policies directory.
        Under policies directory you will have several directories for each GPO, under many GPO directories (not every) you will find adm folder, which contains different .adm files. These files are Administrative Templates files as you can understand.

New Vista/Longhorn policies no longer uses .adm files for Administrative Templates, insted they use ADMX/ADML files, which you need to copy from Vista workstation to 2003's inf folder for GPO with vista settings to be processed.

This might be confusing but i have question for you:
        Have you read both the links from my previous post

if yes i don't think you will find any difficulties in deploying GPO with Vista settings.
        First try out something & don't forget to paste screenshots if you find any difficulties.
        Cheers!!
        MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Thanks entadm

I have finally found a reply it was a sub area in one of your links.

Here is the link that exlpain it.
          http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
          X