No announcement yet.

GPO Puzzle

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Puzzle

Hey guys,

I am working on a Windows 2000 native AD domain. Currently there are restrictions on certain users to where they cannot adjust their time or power options.

There are 2 users groups, PolicyUsers and NoPolicyUsers. PolicyUsers have restrictions such as cannot change TCP/IP Settings, limited control panel options, no run command, etc...and have Apply Group Policy permission to the domain group policy. No Policy Users only have read access to the domain group policy.

I have looked far and wide through the domain group policy to find out how to remove the power and time restrictions. However I have been unsucessful.

Can someone please lead me in the right direction?

MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: GPO Puzzle

Are you referring to Power Management Options and changing the system time?
    If so, by default, you need to be a Power User or Administrator to change the system time and Administrator to change the power configuration.

You can, however, change those settings through group policy by specifying user or groups to have those permissions.

System time setting:
    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Change System Time

Power Settings: (not as straight forward)
    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Registry
    Add an entry for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Con trols Folder\PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy
    Be sure to allow it to inherit permission.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond