No announcement yet.

Installing A driver update via GPO and Batch file

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing A driver update via GPO and Batch file

Hi guys - I have a dilemma

We have recently rolled out an application to 600+ pc's which although tested has resulted in incompatibilities between the software and the Display drivers on the 600 PC's

I am trying to roll out the driver via a COMPUTER policy applied to the 600 pc's (currently only testing on 1) - the install of the driver fails

All computer are members of a domain TESTDOMAIN

GPO Called "GFXUpdate" which is applied to a single test pc named in the applied to list of the GPO

The driver update is for an intel integrated card, and when ran manually from a logged in computer works - via AD policy it fails

it is located on "\\TESTDOMAIN\Testserver\updates$\gfxupdate"

it is based on a setup.exe and when run manually once logged on with switches etc it updates the driver a treat.

When run from the policy it doesnt -

Am i missing somthing here with user rights at startup time ?
    At startup I did adjust me script/Batch to test connectivity and it seemed good as I could copy files from \\TESTDOMAIN\TESTSERVER\Update$ to the client pc in question - just doesnt seem to wanna install at startup ?

any ideas ????

Thanks in advance

Re: Installing A driver update via GPO and Batch file

How do you execute the exe-file when installing via GPO - from within a script or batch?

And when you, succesfully running the driver-update manualy, did you runned the script/batch from the netwshare or, did you start Setup.exe directly from the share?

Can the Setup.exe run completely 'silent', no User Intervention Required?
    can you show the complete command-line for setup.exe incl the switches.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

the driver is a setup file, dlls's and a couple of directories on a server share,

Within this is the setup and dll's

The setup can have a few switches run on it such as -b -nolic- -s
      (b reboots - nolic doesnt display license file - s = silent)

If i run this batch when already logged on to the pc from the network share it works

When i run it as STARTUP SCRIPT on a COMPUTER via an AD GPO it hangs at startup

Really fed up now - cannot get this to work - Its a graphics driver from dell/intel for the
      * Intel(R) 910GL Express Chipset
      * Intel(R) 915GV Express Chipset
      * Intel(R) 945G Express Chipset
      * Mobile Intel(R) 915GM Express Chipset
      * Mobile Intel(R) 910GML Express Chipset
      * Mobile Intel(R) 915GMS Express Chipset
      * Intel(R) 915G Chipset
      * Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset

Have also MSI'd this lot up and tried to get it to run as a COMPUTER SOFTWARE INSTALLATION policy - still no joy

WTF - i have had it with this.
      1st line are gonna have to go round and install 600 updates - lol

Hey, dude. Why are you giving up so quickly? After all, 600 computers are a task big enough to try and automate it.
        You say the script resides on a network share. As a startup script it does not run, while as a logged in user it does. Have you considered the permissions issue on the share? What permissions have you defined there? Users only, perhaps?
        When you run something as a computer startup script, you don't have any user-related credentials. You identify as the specific computer.
        Try to add to the ACL of the share a specific computer and run the GPO on it. See if it works.
        Good luck and keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.