Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software deployment using GP

Hi,
    I have been trying to install MS office using group policy. I applied the policy on domain level. All my Windows 2003 servers got MS Office but non of Windows XP machine able to get MS office. I tried to put those machine in diffrent OU and applied group policy on that OU but it didn't work too. Then I putted Windows 2003 machine in same OU that I configured for XP. The windows 2003 server get Ms office.
    Any suggestions. I want to deploy Office on XP machine
    thanks in advance

Re: Software deployment using GP

What options did you use when creating the software deployment policy?

Are the workstations picking up the policy - gpresult

Comment

Go Start, Run and type in MMC (on one of the XP machines). Select Add\Remove Snap in, and look for Resultant Set of Policy.

Once you have the tool loaded, you can run it in Logging mode, on the client machine, to see what policies it is seeing.

If it can see the Software Policy, then at least you know that AD is reporting it properly, and that your OU is working.

Then perform a gpupdate /force on the client machine (should ask for a restart most likely) and watch the login screens as the PC boots up. If you see Applying Software Application updates (or something along that line...can't remember the actual screen name) appear, then you know that the client machine is attempting to process the GPO.

If that part fails, you should see items in event viewer on the client machine, that list it's attempt to run the GPO, and then why it failed.

As an FYI, you may also need to update your GPO Software policy processing settings. For example, I believe by default, software processing will not occur unless you enable "Allow processing across a slow network connection" You also have to define what you consider the slowest speed you will allow a software package to be deployed.

Comment

Why are you installing MS Office (no version mentioned) onto Servers? Are the Servers used as workstations?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Why are you installing MS Office (no version mentioned) onto Servers? Are the Servers used as workstations?
          If I understood right, it wasn't what the OP hoped for... It just happened. He just stated that, unless the stations, the servers did got Office.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Ah, Solomon is indeed wise. Sorry ahmer_sahab, I should have read it more closely.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Weird....I take it then your servers and workstations are either in the same OU or you applied the policy at a domain level.

Guessing again-you applied it to authenticated users.

Do a RSOP using gpmc and see if your workstations are actually in the correct security groups and correct OUs to get Office.

It sounds like your installation files are fine, just that they are not actually being applied to your workstations.

Comment

Working...
              X