Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unload roaming profile on Terminal Server + show Quick Launch

Hi,

Many problems I found these days when I have been planning to apply Group Policy to my domain. Could anyone show me a solution or workaround about the below issues ? I'm sure that you did encounter them before.

1. How can I unload roaming profile of some users on Terminal Server ?
    I mean when my users, who use Laptops, they log on to Terminal Server, their roaming profiles are loaded and they have their desktops with a lot of error shorcut on Terminal Server. That's not good. I want, when they log on to Terminal Server, they will have another desktop.

2. How can I enable Quick Launch toolbar for users using Group Policy.
    The policy need to lock the taskbar and many things. Group Policy can do well on this issue but it also disable Quick Launch toolbar. I check on user romaing profile, follow the path Application Data/ Microsoft/Internet Explorer folder and see Quick Launch folder there but it is not showed.

Thanks so much.
    P/S: I'm having a headache with these things. I have been searching for them many days and also knew some "By Design" issues in GPO.
    Love in vain is better than love no one.

Re: Unload roaming profile on Terminal Server + show Quick Launch

For the first issue, you may want to try User Profile Hive Cleanup Service . Although is not quite clear what do you mean by "have their desktops with a lot of error shorcut". What errors are those? Maybe there is another, better way to solve them?
    The second issue is also unclear. I am using GPO settings to disallow my TS users to make changes to the Taskbar, but they have the Quick Launch bar.
    So, what did you do? And what exactly is the problem? Isn't Quick Launch showing at all? Or you just want to edit it too?

It will be nice if you could give some more details.
    TIA.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      For the first issue, you may want to try User Profile Hive Cleanup Service . Although is not quite clear what do you mean by "have their desktops with a lot of error shorcut". What errors are those? Maybe there is another, better way to solve them?
      The second issue is also unclear. I am using GPO settings to disallow my TS users to make changes to the Taskbar, but they have the Quick Launch bar.
      So, what did you do? And what exactly is the problem? Isn't Quick Launch showing at all? Or you just want to edit it too?

It will be nice if you could give some more details.
      TIA.
      Thanks for your reply.

1.That means the laptop users have their laptops which contains shorcuts from may softwares on their computers. For example : YM, Skype, ... When they log on to Terminal Server, these shorcuts are invalid ( coz there're no YM, Skype on TS).
      Yet, I was told a solution is Terminal Services Profile. Until now, I think it can solve my problem.

2. Yes, by default, when user log on, they don't have Quick Launch. We're using Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP SP2. I also found a .exe file so that I can run at logon and show the Quick Launch to user. Anyway, thanks. It's greate to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyennp View Post
        the laptop users have their laptops which contains shorcuts from may softwares on their computers. For example : YM, Skype, ... When they log on to Terminal Server, these shorcuts are invalid ( coz there're no YM, Skype on TS).
        Are your users using roaming profiles? If so, why?
        The TS profile's solution means you are creating another profile for every user. What will you do with My Documents? With PST files (if you have any)? And all other user-related settings? Will you have one for their laptop and another for their TS session?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Are your users using roaming profiles? If so, why?
          The TS profile's solution means you are creating another profile for every user. What will you do with My Documents? With PST files (if you have any)? And all other user-related settings? Will you have one for their laptop and another for their TS session?
          Hi,

Yes, they're using roaming profiles. What do you mean "Why" ?
          With My Documents & Application Data, I use Folder Redirection. So when they log on to Terminal Server, they're also have Mapped drive, My Documents & App Data redirected via Group Policy. Yet, at that time, they're not using their roaming profiles, but their TS profiles (Yes, they wil have 1 profile for their laptop and 1 for their TS session).

PST files --> will be put on their local disk so they can't access from TS session. Coz they're using laptops and PST file is not supported offline file, I couldn't put it on File Server. I really really want to put PST files on Server so that we can backup mail for user but I have no idea to do that.

I'm not experience on this. That's a best way I know after a long week searching and doing LAB.??

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Well, there's a big difference between Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection. There are two different things:
            In Folder Redirection, a user that logs in will get his/hers specific folders from another location. But only those folders. This setting is available throguh Group Policy.
            When using Roaming Profile, the whole profile is taken from a shared source, inlcuding the ntuser.dat and all (not only specific folders). This setting is available in Active Directory Users and Computers.
            From what you're describing, you are using Folder Redirection and not Roaming Profiles (you are talking about two different profiles, one on the laptop and one on the TS server). At this point, I would ask myself what exactly I am trying to achieve and start designing the user's environment from there. From the info you gave so far, I cannot tell you if your setup so far is the best one. This is the reason I asked "why".
            Regarding the PST files, I can tell you our setup: every user maps a home drive on the server (let's say X:\). We configure Outlook to use the PST file X:\Files\Outlook.pst . This way, the PST file is on the server (and so, we back it up).
            Disadvantages:
            - whenever the computer looses the X:\ drive, the PST file may become corrupt. We rarely had such problems, although it happened a lot that the mapped drive was lost.
            - if you don't have the option of backing up open files, the users have to close their Outlook when they leave home. Otherwise, the PST file will not be backed up.

Hope this helped a bit. Keep the forum posted.

Recommended reading:
            Configuring user states: http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true . In the same TechNet branch, follow the sub-branches dealing with Implementing roaming profiles and Implementing Folder Redirection.
            Another good article: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver-2003.html
            Last edited by sorinso; 5th June 2007, 06:52.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Well, there's a big difference between Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection. There are two different things:
              In Folder Redirection, a user that logs in will get his/hers specific folders from another location. But only those folders. This setting is available throguh Group Policy.
              When using Roaming Profile, the whole profile is taken from a shared source, inlcuding the ntuser.dat and all (not only specific folders). This setting is available in Active Directory Users and Computers.
              From what you're describing, you are using Folder Redirection and not Roaming Profiles (you are talking about two different profiles, one on the laptop and one on the TS server). At this point, I would ask myself what exactly I am trying to achieve and start designing the user's environment from there. From the info you gave so far, I cannot tell you if your setup so far is the best one. This is the reason I asked "why".
              Regarding the PST files, I can tell you our setup: every user maps a home drive on the server (let's say X:\). We configure Outlook to use the PST file X:\Files\Outlook.pst . This way, the PST file is on the server (and so, we back it up).
              Disadvantages:
              - whenever the computer looses the X:\ drive, the PST file may become corrupt. We rarely had such problems, although it happened a lot that the mapped drive was lost.
              - if you don't have the option of backing up open files, the users have to close their Outlook when they leave home. Otherwise, the PST file will not be backed up.

Hope this helped a bit. Keep the forum posted.

Recommended reading:
              Configuring user states: http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true . In the same TechNet branch, follow the sub-branches dealing with Implementing roaming profiles and Implementing Folder Redirection.
              Another good article: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver-2003.html
              Yes, I know the different between Roaming Profiles & Folder Redirection. I read a lot from Microsoft and other sites, they recommend that we should combine Roaming Profiles + Folder Redirection and offline files also.

What I want that :

1. User profiles + Application settings + Users' documents + Mail will be saved on File Server so that we can easy to backup.
              2. Restrict users' desktop & settings. That means user can only have some shorcut on their desktops and run it.

What I did :

1. Configuring roaming profiles & HomeDirs for all users. Configuring Folder redirection for Application Data and My Documents redirect to Users home folders.
              2. Creatng some folders on File Server : pr_user_desktop, hr_user_desktop, ... and put necessary shorcuts in these folders. Configuring Folder Redirection for Desktop to these folders. For example : PR users will have the desktop which comes from pr_user_desktop.
              3. Creating some other policies : Disable some Desktops, Startup & Menu settings, Software Restriction Policy, Disable Windows Tour, Disable IE, Show Quich Launch, ... Apply to OUs containing users.

The problems I'm facing :

1. Some users belong to PR department, they also need to remote to Terminal Server. When they made the connection to Ts and they were also applied the policies what I set up. But you see, there're some different between Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, the Disable Windows Tour (which contains a logon script modifying the Registry) didn't work with Windows Server 2003 and show error. Additionally, their desktop was also be redirected. This is the issue I though I found a workaround in the last post - TS Profiles, but it's not (coz in the last post, I only tested with Mobile users who don't have Desktop Redirection).
              So how can I don't allow the policies apply when the users log onto Terminal Server ? Is Replace Mode in Group Policy loop back an answer for my question ? This policy make me confused so much.

2.With *.PST file, I also think that I should put it in the File Server but the problem is that *.PST file couldn't marked as an offline file. That's the problem with laptop users.

So thanks so much if anyone can share the experience about the problems I'm facing.
              Last edited by nguyennp; 6th June 2007, 18:50.

Comment

Working...
              X