GP processing times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP processing times

Is there a tool (i.e. script etc) or perhaps a built in way of determining how long it takes for a particular computer and/or user to process all GPOs? Ultimately what I want to be able to do is move my test computer account and test user account to the different OUs and determine how long it takes for all group policy processing to take place.

Re: GP processing times

Use a stopwatch.

gpupdate.exe /force will force the update of GPOs.

gpresult.exe will tell you the last time computer and user GPOs were applied.

One thing to remember is that depending on your network, domain, and site configuration, the time it takes to apply GPOs may differ depending on the location.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Okay, since I've posted two threads about GP and both times you have come back with a smart remark I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just naturally a sarcastic kind of guy.

"Use a stopwatch" - classic! You actually got a laugh out of me.

To answer my own question I found a utility called gptime at the following site that accomplishes very well what I am looking for.

http://www.gpoguy.com/Tools.htm#GP_Time_Utility

So until next time Jason, thanks again for your reply. I'm sure we'll talk again soon.

Comment

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Use a stopwatch. I've used a stopwatch in many instances for various tests, including Citrix logon times. I'm sorry you thought I was being sarcastic. Simple questions can sometimes be answered by simple solutions. Not every problem needs to be answered with a new software installation, registry hacks, or some other expensive solution.

Jas
        Last edited by jasonboche; 10th May 2007, 19:03.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Bboyd, I would be interested to learn the results of the software AND the stopwatch method. Could you please post both results back here when you have finished timing them.

I am curious to see how much difference there is between the manual and software methods. Thanks.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No problem. It may be some time though. Priorities have changed since yesterday. Will post what I get.

Comment

"Let's see if that shuts the prick up."

This is the feedback I get for this thread for trying to help? Thanks for that. Makes me really want to keep coming back here.

Comment

bboyd left that feedback for you?

I personally enjoy reading your posts and think you contribute a lot around he so don't take it personally (Not like I think you did)

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Jason, check your PM!! Ta.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X