No announcement yet.

Problem Deploying Printer using GP via Vista managment PC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Deploying Printer using GP via Vista managment PC

I'm having a problem deploying a network printer to my workstations using GP. As I understand there is a couple of ways to do this, I'm familiar with two of them. The first way is to use R2's print management console and then use the "deploy using group policy". The other method I read in Jeremy Moskowitz 5th edition group policy book. As I understand, this method uses Vista's GPMC to assign printers via GP. By using Vista's GPMC it would seem that I no longer need to use the Print Management console in Server 2003 R2 to deploy printer. Is this correct? Anyways, I tried this last method and followed all the steps:

- Made sure my schema has been updated to R2 (level 31)
    - Add printer to my OU GPO under User Configuration>Windows
    settings>Deployed Printers. When added, no error messages
    appeared in Connection status. I verified it by checking the
    Settings Tab in the GPO. No errors.
    - Added Pushprinterconnections.exe to the OU GPO and verified it
    by viewing the GPO's settings tab. No error.

Up to now everything looks good. I do have to mention that the target workstation is located in a different site (subnet). When I do a group policy results on the workstation, the GPO for pushprinterconnections shows up. However, the Printer Connections (User>Windows Settings) does not appear at all. It almost seems that it doesnt recognize this GPO or it ignores it. There is no error icon nor any info in the policy events tab.

So pushprinterconnections GPO works BUT printer connections GPO never shows up. All other unrelated GPOs work on this workstation in this site. (I have waited for replication to the local DC & did a GPUpdate /force on the workstation, just in case) What am I doing wrong? Thanks