Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logon Script applying to computer

Hi,

I'm looking to have a script in place than when any user logs onto a specific computer sets the default printer to a specific printer. Seems easy enough but the GPO that has a logon script function will not set the default printer of the computer, only the user. Have also tried using the same script as a Startup script GPO. This doesn't work either as it tries to set the default printer before the printer has actually been installed.

Has anyone got any ideas how i can get round this?

Many thanks,

C

Re: Logon Script applying to computer

cmcf please read the forum rules again
    http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=26

Double posting is not appreciated here.

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Rems, This is not a double posting. Yes, it may perform the same outcome as a previous post but this solution is completely different to the one in another topic. I am still intrigued to see if a solution is viable through Group Policy.

Comment

I see

Connecting and setting the default printer are user configurations. Therefore you must use a GPO linked to OU containing the Useraccounts. In the GPO add the script to the users configuration part (so it will be a logon script).
        The script you found in the scripting forum will determine the name of the computer, and check if it is a member of the group you specified in the script. Only if the computer is a member of that group then the script make the settings for the current user. You can use that script as a logonscript.

But.. if you can't use an AD group for identifing the right computers for the script to apply the user settings on, then there is an otherway.
        You can add a simple logonscript to a GPO that is linked to the OU containing the Computers. Modify the scope of that GPO so it will only apply to the computers specified. (EDIT: see retification below*). The script must be added to the User Configuration part of that GPO!
        This method is called Loopback processing.

\Rem

*EDIT:
        Note about the GPO scope I mensioned
        You can use the GPO scope for including certain computers, by doing so you automaticly exclude the other computers.
        But I think you can acualy not use that when you want to use the loopback processing option because the default scope of the computers is 'All Users' by changing the scope to computeraccounts only, I think you will exclude the usersaccounts too, so the user configuration part will not be applied afterwards to the current user.
        If that is correct, then you still must keep the computers apart via the 'Active Directory Users & Computers' <-- or by a group or, by using different OU's.
        Last edited by Rems; 2nd April 2007, 19:06.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks Rems, I've got it working by inserting the script in the previous post into the NETLOGON folder. I then created a group in AD that has all the computers i want the script to apply to. Job done.

Comment

Working...
          X