Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Ban policy

Hi

In group policy I have an OU called students. All polices work as they should.

Inside ‘Students’ is a sub OU called ‘internet ban’, this is where the problem is.

When a student is moved into the internet ban OU, they can still get onto the internet.

I have created a new test student in ‘internet ban’ by coping a student that is already in the ‘internet ban’ OU. This test student gets the ban as it should.

The ‘internet ban’ OU still needs to use explorer so I can’t disable that policy.

We use a proxy, the setting of which have been set to something different
    In the ‘internet ban’ OU.

Does anybody have any ideas why the above might be the case, I know I must be missing something!
    We use roaming user profiles for students. Could the profiles make any difference?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Re: Internet Ban policy

Are you allowing enough time for the policies to refresh between the time of the change and the test you are doing? Or are you using a logout-login procedure?
    If not, you should move the user, run gpupdate at the command prompt and test if the policy is applied.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, each time I change the policy I run ‘gpupdate /force’ which requires a reboot. Also I delete any profiles that are left on the machine.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

Can you run a gpresult / RSOP against a user that is in the Internet Ban OU but still has access to the internet to see exactly what policy's have been applied?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

I have looked at the results from RSOP for the test student and one of the original students in ‘internet ban’. There is no difference between the two.

I was hoping there would be so I could sort it out.

Thanks Dave

Comment

What happens when you create a tes account in the students OU and then move it to the no internet OU. Do you experience the same as the students account?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

I created another test student in the ‘student’ OU. The test could get onto the internet as expected.

I then moved the new test student into the ‘internet ban’ OU and I could still get on the internet again.

This is driving me mad. Thanks very much for your help

Dave

Comment

Exactly what policy is the No Internet OU setting?

Are you changing the proxy to a completely different (Non existant) proxy?

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ozydave View Post
                  I have created a new test student in ‘internet ban’ by coping a student that is already in the ‘internet ban’ OU. This test student gets the ban as it should.
                  I'm puzzled. Can it be a permissions issue?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                  In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -
                  «««««

Comment

Hi again

Been busy this morning, but checked out the last two posts.

The policy for the ban does use a no existent proxy with a port number different from the real one.

I have now checked the permissions of an existing user against the first test student and they are exactly the same.

Inheritance is blocked from the parent OU ‘Students’. I have removed the block and done the same tests, I still get the same problem.

While typing this post I got a call from our outside support people who have now fixed the problem.

It happens on winXP machines when SP2 is applied.

The link below will tell you more, it will mean a lot more to you guys than it does to me, i.e. it went over my head.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888254

Once again thanks for all your input.

Dave

Comment

What proxy are you using? This can easily be setup in ISA using the Ban OU applied to a rule. Don't know about other proxies though.

[Edit: Sorry, didn't see the above post.]
                      Last edited by biggles77; 8th March 2007, 15:31.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Folder Redirection ?!?!?
                        Well, I am glad you solved the issue... And thank you for updating the forum...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Working...
                        X