Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assign The Ip

HI EVERY BODY
    CAN I CHANGE THE (TCP/IP) TO BE OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE GROUP POLICY ?mrgreen:

Re: Assign The Ip

Please stop SHOUTING!!!

You probably can change this setting via Group Policy - but it may need you to add a group policy template of your own making to enable you to set it in a GPO.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can try to centrally change the following key in the registry:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\[Interface ID]\EnableDHCP from 0 (static IP) to 1 (DHCP IP address).
      Important: Test the setting first. And never change the Registry without backing it up first.
      Last edited by sorinso; 22nd February 2007, 17:32. Reason: typos

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorry I do not know what you mean I just want to change all machine in my network to have ip automaticaly via group policy in windows 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Please stop SHOUTING!!!

You probably can change this setting via Group Policy - but it may need you to add a group policy template of your own making to enable you to set it in a GPO.
          Sorry I do not know what you mean I just want to change all machine in my network to have ip automaticaly via group policy in windows 2003

Comment

Well, regarding Stonelaughter's reply: writing in CAPS is not polite, it is usually used to shout at people; something that is considered rude. So, please don't write in CAPS.
            Now, you are trying to change the IP address setting in your computers from static IPs to DHCP, right?
            There are better ways to do it than with GPO. One of them is to run a REG file (through login script, GPO, or any other centralized means) that will change the registry key I gave you in the previous post.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Sorin has answered the question perfectly. That registry setting is a good tip. I just wanted to add, for the benefit of others with similar interests, that you can also save the network settings to a file and later import them - this can be used as part of a login script.

To export the network settings to a file you would setup just one PC then run
              netsh -c interface dump > \\server\share\lansettings.txt

To import those settings from the file run
              netsh -f \\server\share\lansettings.txt

Of course, you wouldn't want to cause all your PCs to have the same IP address but this tip can be useful when wanting to automate certain settings.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                Of course, you wouldn't want to cause all your PCs to have the same IP address
                Good point. Workaround :
                Export: netsh -c interface dump > \\server\share\%COMPUTERNAME%.txt
                Import: netsh -f \\server\share\COMPUTERNAME%.txt
                (Thanks for the feedback )

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Yep! Like that one too - very useful.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

I know I'm probably stating the obvious here but Ahmed also make sure you have the DHCP service enabled and correctly configured. I find it very difficult to find reason why people would configure a network with static IP addresses (< 10 users then fair enough) but you need to keep scalability in mind.

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      Well, regarding Stonelaughter's reply: writing in CAPS is not polite, it is usually used to shout at people; something that is considered rude. So, please don't write in CAPS..
                      I'm so sorry because I didn't know that and thank you for this note

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                        Sorin has answered the question perfectly. That registry setting is a good tip. I just wanted to add, for the benefit of others with similar interests, that you can also save the network settings to a file and later import them - this can be used as part of a login script.

To export the network settings to a file you would setup just one PC then run
                        netsh -c interface dump > \\server\share\lansettings.txt .
                        Thank you for your cooperation, I did what you said but it doesn't work

Comment

netsh works perfectly, so what did you do exactly? Give us the exact steps you took and maybe we can help sort out where the procedure went wrong.

Was it netsh that you couldn't get working the way you wanted, or was it the registry key that you tried?
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.

Comment

I got the (lansetting.txt) file and made an organization unit and then I put the file in log in ( scripts ) in logon as appeared in this photo

Comment

OK what's happened here is that the "script" you are running at login is trying to run just the lansettings.txt file, which is no good by itself - this file is just a simple text file that has the settings in it, it does not tell the computer what to do. Your script needs to run the netsh program.

The netsh program can run with the lansettings.txt file which tells netsh what to do.

The script you need to run is actually as follows:

netsh -f \\domain\lansettings\lansettings.txt

This assumes your server name is "domain" which by your screenshot I think it may be.

Running this script will tell netsh to import the file settings that have been recorded into lansettings.txt

Does that help? I hope you created the lansettings.txt by taking the folowing steps:

1. Setup a PC to have automatic IP settings
                              2. Run netsh to export those settings to a file called lansettings.txt by using the following command:
                              netsh -c interface dump > \\domain\lansettings\lansettings.txt

Are you OK with all this now?
                              Best wishes,
                              PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                              X