Blocking desktop using GP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking desktop using GP

How can I block users from saving files to a desktop or changing prefernces (wall paper,backgeound,etc)

Re: Blocking desktop using GP

First, have you seen all the threads in this forum that already dealt with this issue? I searched the forum for you with the keyword save. Take a look at the results.
    Second, the answer to your question is Yes, you can. How? Depends. Have you seen Petri.co.il page regarding the Policy Settings reference? You should start from there. Especially pay attention to the System.adm tab, starting line 389. You have there all the setting related to what you are trying to achieve.
    BTW, is there an or in your question? Do you need one of these settings? Or maybe both? They are not the same, you know... After you'll read the previous threads, you'll see that preventing users from saving files on the desktop it's not something trivial. So it will be a good thing if you could give some more details about what do you want to do.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you for reply.
      I have never done it. So I followed your advice and downloaded the spreadsheet from microsoft. I thought I need to creat a group policy and not change the registry key.
      BTW I would like to do both.
      Stop users from changing desktop items (wall paper, resolution, etc) and not allow thm to save files on the desktop.
      Thanks

Comment

Don't change any registry keys!
        Use the Excel file to see what setting and where in the GPO to adjust, so you will get what you need. The registry keys are shown there only for documentation purposes, so you'll know better what the settings does.
        If I were you, I would start reading some documentation regarding work with GPO. Take a look at this detailed article: http://www.petri.com/working_with_group_policy.htm
        Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X