How to use group policy to enable USB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use group policy to enable USB

I am using win 2003 std, DC and AD installed. Now all client are running winxp pro sp2 and not able to use USB disk (flash disk). Please help to config group policy on win2003 DC to allow all users can use USB disk.

Many thanks.

Re: How to use group policy to enable USB

not able to use USB disk
    What does that mean? What error message are they receiving?
    You have here an article that explains how to disable USB. See if these settings are set on any GPO that applies to the users.
    I am asking myself if this is in the right place...
    Last edited by sorinso; 1st February 2007, 11:07.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thread moved to GPO forum

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

This solution does not fix. When this user plug in an USB disk then it appeared error that he does not have permission to install this drive. I tried with some another USB but still have the same error.

Comment

Can you please give more information for the error you are getting?

I assume the users do not have permission to install any new hardware, and requires from you a user name and passowrd, if you use administrator credantials everything works fine, and if you plug this USB another time, it does not requires from you (user name/ password).

Please correct me and give us more information (Even Log, Screenshots, what ever you can help us).
          Best regards,
          Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This problem is only happen to a workstation all users in local network is member of users group only, and other workstations are working normally. I do not want to enter admin user and password on workstation.

Any solution? may be this computer has something wrong with configuration?

Comment

Try to give this specific user the "Load and unload device drivers" right, in Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> User rights assignment, and see if it solves the problem. Only on this station. If it will solve the problem, you will be able to move further to the GPO implementation.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Thank you, the user on this ws has permission to load/unload device as default GPO configured. It really strange, he can use his USB without problem, but any other install on his computer then ask to enter user/pwd

Comment

Sorry for being stubborn, but please give this user in the Local Policy Settings this right. The fact that his USB works and other don't make me ask myself if the user has this right...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I think the computer is recognizing the USB as a new hardware (Harddisk) and for that asking for administrator permissions, no?
                    Best regards,
                    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X