Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Rights to HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\software folder\application

H there

I am trying to use Group police to give employees the necessary rights over certain registry keys. An application requires this.

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Application

HKEY_USERS\Software\Application

I have no problems assigning permissions to the previous keys in a GPO, but I don't see an option for Hkey_Current_Users

So how do I assign appropriate permissions to the following key:

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Apllication

Re: Giving Rights to HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\software folder\application

Hi, daveinholland.
    I understand you cannot give permission on the HKCU\Software\[SomeApplication] registry key, is that correct?
    Have you tried through regedit too and it didn't work? ( You know, right click on the key, Permissions...)
    What permissions does your user (the one you are logged in with while trying to change the permissions) have on the same key? And on the key above it?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Through Regedit I can do this, buy the thing is I want to give the users these rights from teh server through a GPO.

But in teh setting windows settings\security settings \registry when I want to edit a registry item All I can edit are the HKLM / CLASSES ROOT and USERS key. This works fine but I want to also edit the Hkey Current USesrs folder through a group policy or else I have to do this manually on all pc's

Comment

Hello,
        From my point of view there is no need to do it. HKCU is a sub key of HKU (HKEY_USERS).
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
        So, modify permissions only in HKEY_USERS and this is available in GPO.
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Sounds like a custom policy job my friend, there are a number of related items for making custom ADMs within this forum but this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323639/en-us will get you going in the right direction.

Edit: Sorry netxt didn't see your post, sounds like your closer to the mark

Comment

Aaaaa.... that one
            The HKCU key is a copy of the user's registry set from HKU (according to it's SID). So give permissions on the HKU branch.

Added: Oooops! I'm outdated.. This is what happens when you talk with the boss instead of answering to the forum...
            Last edited by sorinso; 24th January 2007, 12:43. Reason: outdated...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

mmm giving rights to just the hkey users key even though I know Hkey current users is a subset of this key doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas how to directly modify the hkey cirrent users key with helkp of a GPO?

Comment

There's a tool available: RegINI.
                Do you think it can help you?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Any ideas how to directly modify the hkey cirrent users key with helkp of a GPO?
                  You can create them yourself, this link should help you get started.
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323639/en-us

Comment

This is a catch22 situation - the HKCU hive is not available when processing computer settings part og a GPO, hence you will not see the hive there.

As for writing custom ADMs, this will not work too - registry permissions can not be assigned via custom ADMs.

Now to the more interesting question: by default the logged on user has Full Control over HKCU branch and unless you have done something to lock this down, the user should be able to change anything in HKCU.
                    Now if you did lock it down, as the user is the Owner of the branch, you can change the permissions over HKCU\Software\<App> in the logged in user's security context. This can be done using something like regini.exe:

Code:
                    regini.exe unlock_hkcu_software.ini
                    an example unlock_hkcu_software.ini file attached. More on altering permissions using regini can be found by running regini /?

You can create a script and add it as Logon script in the GPO linked to container wherer the user accounts reside.
                    Attached Files
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thank you I really believe I am on the right way now, however how do I use this line in a script? What I mean is: just this code?

regini.exe unlock_hkcu_software.ini

How would teh script look like? what extension?

Comment

You can create a CMD file (the actual name for the old BAT files, with some improvements), that contains the command:
                        regini.exe unlock_hkcu_software.ini.
                        If you don't want any output, you can add > nul at the end of the command. And you should solve the paths issues (meaning, if the REGINI.EXE and the INI file are not in the same folder).
                        That should be it.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                        X