Group Policy Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Question

I have Windows Server 2003 ED and what I need is to have 5 users with admin rights BUT disable them from shutting down the Server. Also I do require 1 main admin account that remotelly access the PC to do all the maintenance(including reboot so I need shutdown for this user) is there any ways around that?

Those 5 users MUST have admin priviledge to use certain softwares.

Re: Group Policy Question

Hi.
    Is this a one-time scenario, or Enterprise-wide? (Meaning: you need it only on one specific server, or on a lot of them? )
    If it's Enterprise-wide, use GPO (although doing this on bunch of servers needs great attention, not to find yourself in an awkward situation in which you cannot shutdown your servers) . If it's one-time, use Local Security Policies.
    See the attached screenshot.
    What would I do is remove everyone from the list of "Shutdown the system" and add two accounts: the Local Administrator (to be on the safe side) and the "main admin account".
    It should do the thing.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:08.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

yea it's only for one TS. If I do the option above... can I still log in as the local admin through RDP?

Also those 5 users I mentioned also need admin rights... wouldn't that override the fact that their shutdown permission is disabled if admin is still under the "allow shutdown"?

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer82 View Post
        yea it's only for one TS. If I do the option above... can I still log in as the local admin through RDP?
        Sure do. Why not? Anyway, test it, to be sure.
        Originally posted by lucifer82 View Post
        Also those 5 users I mentioned also need admin rights... wouldn't that override the fact that their shutdown permission is disabled if admin is still under the "allow shutdown"?
        Add to the previous shown setting the Local Administrator account, not the Administrators group. Your users will remain in the Administrators group, but this group won't have the permissions needed to shutdown the server.
        Hope this helps. Keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

The program wouldn't happen to be Adobe Acrobat reader would it? Ran into the same problem on a 2k3 TS server for a client.

Comment

Originally posted by CryptoPKI View Post
            The program wouldn't happen to be Adobe Acrobat reader would it? Ran into the same problem on a 2k3 TS server for a client.
            What did I missed here? What program are we talking about?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X