Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer will not print multiple copies when assigned using a script

Hi

When installing a deskjet 6940 on a Windows 2000 pc from a 2000 server using the command below, (which is run from a batch file), the printer will not print multiple copies;

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /u /in /n\\cl2ksrv00\colourdeskjet4

the printer has been added to a server also running 2000 using the standard HP driver cd, aswell as drivers downloaded from the HP support website. the batch file is run on the pc during boot up. when the printer is added to the pc manually though, through the 'Add Printer' option, it will work normally.

I have tried everything and checked event logs for any abnormal activity with nothing standing out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Re: Printer will not print multiple copies when assigned using a script

Do you have the Deskjet 6940 installed on a Windows 2000 Server and have it shared so you can use it as a network printer? In the past, there have been problem with HP non network printers being used as network printers. There is also no Windows 2000 Server printer drivers for this printer.

All the above combined could be a reason why you are having problem with the script and multiple printing.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello Biggles

There is WIn2K drivers available for this printer, it does not state that there are specific drivers for 2000 server though.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...467980&lang=en

Although it will install and work normally. I have to install the printer using the scripts because of the system used with this client.

It is only when installed from the script that it will not print mutiple copies.

I'll ask the question of HP if the printer is supported on 2K Server as opposed to workstation only. The printer has a Jet Direct Interface installed internally.

Thanks for you interest.

Brian

Comment

How about using VBS?
        http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...pt_Printer.htm
        http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...ter_Method.htm
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the update Jeremy

Unfortunalty I cannot use VBS, I am tied to using this script by the customer.

Thing is, it works fine with other HP inkjets, this is the first time we have tried it with the 6490. Very strange that it works fine when adding the printer manually.

Set the script up and you'll only get one copy.

HP have confirmed that it is supported on Win2K.

I was hoping someone may have come across this elsewhere.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

Have you specificlly told them it was a Windows 2000 SERVER?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes HP confirm that it is supported on Win2k Server.

Although they did insist that the drivers should be installed form the CD Rom.

B.

Comment

Were the Windows 2000 Pro drivers installed as additional drivers or are the server ones being used?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

They are both the same driver....

So the workstation uses the same driver as the server.

I feel this one is down to a problem with how the script is configuring Active Directory.

Remember the driver works fine when installed manually.

HP's official response was that if you are going to use scripts to connect you are going to get printers.

B.

Comment

Working...
                  X