• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: GPO to enable RDP on winxp and allow to a group to RDP

Hello

i did some search about enabling RDP with GPO and i found the solution
    here http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

and it works... i have applied it to the default domain policy.

put i could not find how to define with GPO how to add a group to the RDP users...

i have created group with all users i need to do RDP...

thanks for any help

Yaniv F
    Last edited by yaniv; 1st January 2007, 15:53.
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Re: Question: GPO to enable RDP on winxp and allow to a group to RDP

You can run at logon a BAT or CMD file that contains the command:
    net group "Remote Desktop Users" [username] /add (wrote it from memory, check it, please )
    For more info regarding "net group" command see Microsoft's site.
    Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

is there no gpo setting?
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

You want to use a GPO? Sure, here you go http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

JeremyW

i have read the article and i tried it... but i did not understand it

ok so i did

open gpo managment

GPO_name\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Restricted Groups\

and add a new group.
          then i have to add a group...
          i have add the group name from my users to the new group...

put i dont get the part...
          where do i tell local admin on what computers? or RDP...

thanks
          MCSE 2000 Done
          RHCE Done

Comment

-In your GPO, browse to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Restricted Groups and right-click Restricted Groups and select Add Group...
            -Type in Remote Desktop Users and click OK
            -In the Properties dialog box, under Members of this group: click Add... and select the group you created.

HTH

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to ask, what did you mean in the following statement?
            Originally posted by yaniv View Post
            Last edited by JeremyW; 1st January 2007, 21:56.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

JeremyW

i can test it tomorrow and i will post my results...

thank you
              Yaniv F
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to ask, what did you mean in the following statement?
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by yaniv View Post
                i mean to set in GPO what users or group is on what computer local admin.

thanks

maybe it is the same setting in GPO... just to search for local admin and enable it on another OU with all computers that i need the group to be local admin?

EDIT:
                yes it is the same setting i have selected admins (group) and linked the GPO to the computers OU that i have created... and it works

can i apply this setting to the default computer container? (i think GPO's only apply to OU's)
                maybe if i set this GPO setting in the default domain policy it will also apply to the default computer container?
                and if not... how do i configure that all new computers move to a specific OU... without running scripts...

thanks
                Last edited by yaniv; 2nd January 2007, 09:32.
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

i did some search and i found this interesting post from daniel p

danielp
                  5th May 2004, 23:36
                  In Windows Server 2003 you can change the default OU in which the computer (and user) accounts are created by default:

redirusr ou=userou,DC=company,dc=com

and

redircomp ou=computersou,DC=company,dc=com
                  hmmm thats what i need where do i set this?

thanks
                  MCSE 2000 Done
                  RHCE Done

Comment

i did some search and i found this interesting post from daniel p

hmmm thats what i need where do i set this?

thanks
                    Did you try ??

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

i found this one

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324949

Redircmp.exe is installed in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder on new and upgraded Windows Server 2003-based computers. For example, to change the default location for a computer that is created with earlier-version APIs such as Net User to the OU=mycomputers container in the CORP.COM domain, use the following syntax:
                      C:\windows\system32>redircmp ou=mycomputers,DC=company,dc=com

if i understand it right... i run this once and every new computer that i add to the domain will be placed in the OU i have choosen with Redircmp.exe ?

maybe this post should be split up...?
                      MCSE 2000 Done
                      RHCE Done

Comment

i found this one

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324949

if i understand it right... i run this once and every new computer that i add to the domain will be placed in the OU i have choosen with Redircmp.exe ?
                        Correct.

Run it on a DC and I believe it makes some changes via ADSIedit for the whole domain.

glad your sorted

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk
                        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

So it seems. Have you noticed that the domain should be a 2003 one?
                          What do you mean by
                          maybe this post should be split up
                          ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Have you noticed that the domain should be a 2003 one?
                            yes... it is server2003 r2

What do you mean by
                            Quote:
                            maybe this post should be split up
                            i mean my original question is something else... so if some one will search for this it will be easy to find... better than 2 things in one post...
                            MCSE 2000 Done
                            RHCE Done

Comment

ok all solved

here we go:

enable RDP via GPO to a group of users on some domain\computers in a OU
                              solved with:
                              -In your GPO, browse to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Restricted Groups and right-click Restricted Groups and select Add Group...
                              -Type in Remote Desktop Users and click OK
                              -In the Properties dialog box, under Members of this group: click Add... and select the group you created.

make some users local admin on some domain\computers in a OU

solved with same solution like for rdp but selected administrator
                              -Type in administrator and click OK
                              change default new computer container to be OU container

solved with:
                              C:\windows\system32>redircmp ou=mycomputers,DC=company,dc=com
                              BUT i had to raise domain functional level to be 2003 in order that the command will work

thank you all for your help

its nice to get GREAT and GOOD HELP from all of YOU... thanks

Yaniv F
                              MCSE 2000 Done
                              RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                              X