Block Games Application from GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Games Application from GPO

Is it possible to prevent domain users from playing games and also prevent them from playing games that can be played directly without the need of administrator rights? What setting should i do in group policy to prevent users from playing windows games too?

Re: Block Games Application from GPO

Originally posted by nimen1 View Post
    prevent them from playing games that can be played directly without the need of administrator rights?
    You mean, like games on the Internet? It won't be easy, because there's nothing to run there... It's only Flash or Shockwave or Java. You might consider disabling those, but won't it have a heavy price on other things you want running?
    Originally posted by nimen1 View Post
    What setting should i do in group policy to prevent users from playing windows games too?
    You can always use User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings-> Software Restriction Policies.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Isn't this a computer config?

Happy new year.
      Simon

Comment

Since alot of these games are played access over port 80 and are are flash or java based as sorinso pointed out, you would have to block access to those sites using a firewall (ie ISA). You will be playing a bit of cat and mouse (pun intended) till you lock out all the sites that provide games.
        In my experience I redirected anyone that sought unapproved sites to a big noisy red page with warning signs dire consequences. Once they realized that there is that much control over internet access they stopped in a hurry.
        It was fun too! (heheh... )

I cannot think of anyway to do all this with a GPO. If you do not have ISA, you can poison you DNS server to redirect those site to an internal site with all the warnings etc... Its alot harder to maintain but would get the point across.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

You just have to set the "Block Games" flag in the "Games and Other Virtual World Rubbish" group in Local Security Policy. You will also have to set the "Allow all other Java and Internet crap" flag in the "Are you sure you want to block this?" section of Local Security Policy. This will have to be set in the Workstation Build for your organisation unfortunately because Games are not recognised by Group Policy.

Or, you could remove the users from the "Games and other internet crap" group in the Domain (users are members by default).

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Stonelaughter-
            I wish it where that simple........
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              Stonelaughter-
              I wish it where that simple........

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                You just have to set the "Block Games" flag in the "Games and Other Virtual World Rubbish" group in Local Security Policy. You will also have to set the "Allow all other Java and Internet crap" flag in the "Are you sure you want to block this?" section of Local Security Policy. This will have to be set in the Workstation Build for your organisation unfortunately because Games are not recognised by Group Policy.

Or, you could remove the users from the "Games and other internet crap" group in the Domain (users are members by default).
                I don't know about you, people, but I am trying to find this for an hour or so already. So far, no luck.
                I am attaching a screenshot of my computer.
                Please HELP !!!
                Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -
                «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  I don't know about you, people, but I am trying to find this for an hour or so already. So far, no luck.
                  I am attaching a screenshot of my computer.
                  Please HELP !!!
                  At least you didn't spend 3 mins of your life searching for a Virtual machine UPS

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Of course not !! I'm the SysAdmin!! I have people doing things for me
                    I worked in a factory some years ago. During one of the night shifts, a guy came to me and asked for some glue. Asked him what kind of glue, and he told me that the head of his soldering iron broke in two pieces, and he wants it glued back, so that the shift manager won't have anything to say...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions and showering your knowledge.... HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007....

Comment

Working...
                      X