New Domain, Need All users to have Local Admin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Domain, Need All users to have Local Admin

I am creating a new domain, phasing out my NT4 Dinosaur. I have to actually touch every desktop and add them to the new domain, but I need to give the users local admin for a temporary time, so I can be logged on as them and copy thier misc data to the new profile. How can this be done? I looked around on the group, but wasnt able to come up with the exact solution.

Thanks in advance.
    spepi

Re: New Domain, Need All users to have Local Admin

net localgroup administrators DOMAIN\username /add
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Spepi,

You want to look into restricted groups:

Here is a few good links:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...ed-Groups.html

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Hope this helps

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
        net localgroup administrators DOMAIN\username /add

Can I do this for the domain users group? If so, where do I run this? On the actual PC or is this done on the Domain controller...

Comment

You mentioned that you had to 'touch' each PC. Do this at each PC from a command prompt when logged on as administrator. After the command completes, log on as the user.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

You mentioned that you had to 'touch' each PC. Do this at each PC from a command prompt when logged on as administrator. After the command completes, log on as the user.
            You could also script this with PSEXEC (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...es/psexec.mspx) to connect to all machines in a list (Exported from Active Directory) and run this command on all machines without having to visit each one.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That works out great, as I have to join the domain anyway, so doing this, I can just execute a batch file for the user I am working with....

I have time to create the mini batch jobs now, because I have some help that might get lost doing this each time, so if I write a script for them to follow, they can execute step by step and run the batch file.

thanks

Comment

Working...
              X