GPO not applying in Registry. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO not applying in Registry. Help!

I have an issue where my GPO is not applying to XP workstations. Users are running a proprietary app where they need several of the security zone settings for local intranet enabled in IE. I have them all enabled on a GPO that is applied to their OU. All computers are in a sub-OU of that.
    I have the security zones: Use Only Machine Settings enabled on this GPO as well as the local PC GPO. If I check ROSP on the XP PC and look under computer config, all the enabled settings exist. The problem is that these settings are not reflected in the registry HKLM\ software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1. The values should be 0 (enabled) and they are not. The users app is broken and I believe this is why. I cannot figure out why these registry settings will not apply??

Any ideas would be a huge help. Thanks!

Re: GPO not applying in Registry. Help!

I'm not sure you can expect to see the new settings by looking in the registry; GPO kind of "overlays" the registry in some witchcrafty kind of way and I think that regedit looks at the registry raw - i.e. without overlay...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks. I did not know that. Well, my main problem is that these security settings in the Computer config GPO are not applying. We set them there so that all users would get these settings. From what I've read, whne you look at these settings in IE Internet Options what's being displyed is the User Config GPO or what's in HKCU. So what confuses is me is how I know these macning settings which show in ROSP are actually changining the security zone settings in IE?

Confusing???

Comment

Absolutely...
        I don't understand why are you using Computer Configuration, and not the User Configuration settings (see attached ie_set_1.jpg). When you click on Modify Settings, you get the window shown in ie_set_2.jpg. I think it should do the job, isn't it?
        Besides that, you don't have Block Inheritance enabled on the
        sub-OU of that
        , do you?
        Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try that. Last night I tried configuring all the security settings in the User Config. It did not work.
          I'm confused on what the difference is between setting the IE zone security settings in User Cofig | Admin Templates versus what you described in using IE Maintenence?? To my understanding, admin templates are for modifying registry settings?

Thanks

Comment

Just want to say thanks Sorin. I setup the User config as you said and it is working. Such a relief to get this resolved beofre this coming holiday weekend.

This site always deleivers-
            Thanks

Comment

Cool, dude.
              Glad it helped.
              And Happy Holidays to everyone !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X