Changing display properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing display properties

We have pushed a company logo out to all desktops in the domain. The problem is it conflicts with the default display properties within XP.

It blends nicely with the *Windows XP Style, Silver* but I don't think this can be acheived via GPO.

If this is the case, can it be acheived via log on script?

Thanks for looking

Re: Changing display properties

What's the conflict exactly?
    You cannot push a wallpaper through GPO (or, at least, I didn't find the way), you just can prevent users from changing it.
    Another thing you can do is use BGInfo from SysInternals.

But let's start from the conflict...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I believe that ANY registry key can be pushed out via Group Policy as long as someone is willing to write the template.

Both the selected Theme and the Desktop Wallpaper are stored in the registry.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        What's the conflict exactly?
        You cannot push a wallpaper through GPO (or, at least, I didn't find the way), you just can prevent users from changing it.
        Another thing you can do is use BGInfo from SysInternals.

But let's start from the conflict...

Sorinso,

Thanks for your reply. You can change the wall paper by selecting User Config > Active Desktop > Enable Active desktop and enter the UNC of your chosen image.

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Any pointers on pushing registry edits out via GP? I am in the middle of a Google now.

Thanks

Comment

You can change the wall paper by selecting User Config > Active Desktop > Enable Active desktop and enter the UNC of your chosen image.
          Coool.
          I don't want to enable Active Desktop in my domain, so it was something "out of bounds" for me
          And you didn't say anything about the conflict. What's wrong about what you did so far?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Any pointers on pushing registry edits out via GP? I am in the middle of a Google now.
            Sorry not really my area of expertise/haven't done it often enough to be authoritative. I know it's possible though.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Tom,

No problem. Thanks for your help.

Sorinso,

I have attached the current situation for you to see.

Thanks again.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yak!! Looks... not nice
                Whenever I need to change something in the registry through GPO, I use a BAT file that contains a REG command.
                Syntax: REG Import [reg file name].
                It works under XP and 2003Server, don't know about 2000Server, 2000Pro or 98.
                I create a new GPO, under User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Logon/Logoff) -> Logon and run the BAT with it.
                Hard to tell if it's the best way (almost certain it isn't), but works for me

Good luck, dude.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Sorinso,

Thanks for your reply.

I am familar with making minor changes in the registry and exporting to a network drive for back-up, but not sure how to make a change in the registry so it can be run later on from from an executable/batch file. I have made simple batch files before in notepad using the net use command, so a user has a mapped drive for log on, but that is about it.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks

Comment

Which part of Syntax: REG Import [reg file name] wasn't clear?!

Tom

Comment

Well, I'll try to be more specific.
                      You'll have to find the key (or keys) in the registry you need. For example, I opened my registry and searched for the name of the theme installed on my comp. See the attached themes.jpg file. Search for anything that should be relevant. You might find the info you need in more than one place, so you should take them all. Disregard keys from HKCU that are identical to those from HKU.
                      After you built the REG file, create a BAT file that has the following command in it:
                      REG IMPORT [the name of the REG file you built].
                      Create a GPO, and under User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Logon/Logoff) -> Logon insert the BAT file, so it will run at logon.
                      Important things:
                      - don't forget to copy the REG file in the same directory of the policy, under SysVol folder. If you want to complicate things, you can put it in a shared folder, with everyone having access to it. And don't forget to give the full path to the REG file in the REG command;
                      - always test your BAT file and your GPO. A guy here published a bad written BAT file, with ENFORCE. It wiped out 4 (!!!) of my servers in a blink (and 10 servers in their department - their problem Sorry, couldn't helped it ). Fortunately, I had images of them and it only took me 45 minutes per server.
                      - you may want to add some logging to the BAT file. It can be achieved easily by adding some lines to it. For example:
                      echo %USERNAME% >> [log file in shared folder]
                      date /T >> [log file in shared folder]
                      time /T >> [log file in shared folder]

It will write you the username, the date and the time the user ran the BAT file. Kinda primitive, but it does the job . It writes data at every users' logon, so after a while you'll have a rather big log file. So watch it.

Hope this info will help.
                      Good luck and keep the forum posted.
                      Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Sorinso,

You are a gentleman, thank you.

Yes- I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X