No announcement yet.

Assigned Application to user woes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigned Application to user woes

Hello all,

I've written myself an msi file using WiX which contains our company standard signatures for outlook, after install this then sets those signatures as default for the users outlook profile. When manually installing the MSI file, this works fine.

However, I assigned the "application" to users using GP and whilst the msi file installs without a problem, the files do not exist in the users profile directory and the required registry changes don't get made.

Presumably this is because the %appdata% variable isn't getting set and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER isn't getting setup until post install.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to work ?

Thanks guys!

Re: Assigned Application to user woes

When your installing the app do you make the changes on the one user account or to the All Users account??

Do your users need to reboot before the changes are made?? If they need to then force a reboot on them for the first time only.

Changes are made to the %appdata% location, which is (supposed) to be the users profile AppData folder as opposed to the "All Users" folder. AFAIK, There's no way of pointing Outlook to look for signatures in any other location than %AppData%\Microsoft\Signatures\

A reboot is not required.

This was resolved by enabling the "install at logon" option.