gpo to change dns from 'use' to 'obtain'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gpo to change dns from 'use' to 'obtain'

i work on a huge campus (ucla, if you must know). here at the school of medicine, we just switched from public to private ip's, which is kinda messing with me and my users. me and my boss have decided to remove dns from the dc. all of my clients have the dns hard-coded, and i need to switch them to 'automatically obtain...". i tried a couple of the dns gpo keys, with no luck.

i searched the registry and found 3 references to the name server's ip in hklm\system\controlset001\services\tcpip\parameter s...blah, blah. but, i think those are not what's hard-coded, but rather what's picked up on boot. so...

anyone know how i can push this change out via policy?

thx!

Re: gpo to change dns from 'use' to 'obtain'

Originally posted by shmengie View Post
    remove dns from the dc
    You might not want to have done that. Active Directory requires DNS to function properly hence the fact that you need DNS installed before you can even promote a server to be a Domain Controller.

Why dont you configre DHCP with a required private address scope and the add your DNS servers in DHCP. When clients request an ip address lease from your DHCP server they will also be allocated primary and secondary DNS server (Normally your DC's in a small - medium sized environment) You then configure your DNS servers to forward any DNS queries it doesn't know about to your ISP DNS server or root DNS servers.

Check out this:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...dows_2003.html

Hope this helps. If you require anymore information feel free to post back

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Active Directory requires DNS to function properly hence the fact that you need DNS installed before you can even promote a server to be a Domain Controller.
      that's what i thought. i'll let let my boss know. right now, i'm outta here. happy thanksgiving!

thx!

Comment

okay. hope everyone had a nice long weekend. now, what the heck was i saying? oh, yeah...

so, okay, i know we gotta leave the dns role intact. that's fine. however, we're still getting some weird connectivity issues since changing over to private ip's. on the few boxes that i've had my hands on, these issues go away if i change dns from 'use' to 'obtain.' at that point, the clients pick up dns from the campus servers, as opposed to our little domain servers. that, too, is fine. as long as it works, which it does.

so, i re-posit my original question: can i change all my clients from 'use' to 'obtain' via policy? i don't see it in there, so maybe someone has an adm?

thx again!

Comment

AFAIK AD needs a working DNS server (Bind 8.1.2 or higher?) but it does not actually have to be on the DC. Obviously it is far easier if AD and DNS are integrated on the same box....

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X