Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy does not work after domain Rename

Hi:

Would really appreciate your help for the above problem.

We have recently rename our windows 2003 domain. However, the gpfixup was ran after the rendom /clean was performed.

All my servers, exchange and WS have been udpated with the new domain attributes and are working fine. But when i tried to access group policy through Active directory users and computers, i get error message "Domain controller not found for <old Domain Name>. The domain controller for group policy operations is not available.

The event log shows event id, 1030 "windows cannot query for the list of group policy objects" and event id, 1005 "Windows cannot bind to <old Domain Name> domain - Group policy processing aborted.

I believe the problem is the result of running gpfixup after the rendom /clean step, and the gplink and gpcFileSyspath has not been updated properly. I have searched the web for solutions without much success. Your help will be much appreciated.

I have checked both Enable file and printer sharing and Enable the TCP/IP NetBIOS service settings and they are ok.

Thanks
    Last edited by cwang; 24th October 2006, 21:51. Reason: additional information

Re: Group Policy does not work after domain Rename

Did you get any errors when you ran gpfixup? What was the syntax you used?

EDIT - did you take a look at this guide? http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...c#_Toc38097948
    Last edited by JeremyW; 25th October 2006, 01:27.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you Jeremy. This is the document i followed to perform the domain rename. Unfortunately, i didn't perform Step 12, fix group policy objects with gpfixup tool until after i have perform the step rendom /clean (which should be after the gpfixup).

I have tried gpfixup command, it ran without any error, but i am unable to access Group policy object though Active domain users and computers. The error i get is "The domain controller does not exist or could not be contacted". THe Group policy is still looking for the <old Domain Name> domain which no longer exist.

I have also used GPMC to try to link the GPO to the domain controller with the new domain name without any success. Do you have any other suggestions?

carol

Comment

Hi Jeremy

I have resolved the problem using GPMC. I deleted the link that points the GPO to the old domain, then recreate a new link pointing the GP to the new domain and now everything works great. Thanks for trying to help.

carol

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
          Thanks for posting back as I'm sure other people will have the same issue you had!
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by cwang View Post
            Hi:
            All my servers, exchange and WS have been udpated with the new domain attributes and are working fine.
            I'm about to rename a Windows Server 2003 domain with a single server in the domain and just wanted to know approximately how long the process would take. This server also hosts an Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise with ~90 mail boxes with a DB size currently at ~24GB.

Thanks,
            tkb.

Comment

Working...
            X