No announcement yet.

Hide My network Places forever

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide My network Places forever

Hi all,

I'm a administrator for 12 servers in a mixed Linux Windows environment.
    We use AD for authentication.

Because we have to store huge email archives, I had to choose for a cheap backup solution. My choose was dar on Linux.
    My problem is that root isn't a member on my AD and will never be because of ID=o.
    Only root can start the backup with dar.

So i've created a folder in everybody's home-directory on the Windows fileserver and made a shortcut of the mailbackup folder on my fileserver. I had to do it this way because I had to give everybody full control permission for the backup, so I had to do it this way to limit access.

The problem is, that when I open the shortcut, it will open the whole My network Places with all of it's shares and computers. I disabled My network places via GPO.

How can I prevent that My network places opens when I open the shortcut in the Homedire?

Is there a registry setting which prevent opening the whole My network places directory?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hide My network Places forever

I am not sure if I correctly understand your issue.
    So, there is a shortcut in every userís home directory, this shortcut points to a shared folder on the file server. Is it correct?
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Re: Hide My network Places forever

try to mount that network share... and users dont have to click on the shortcut...
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done