Adding and Enforcing password policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding and Enforcing password policy

At the moment all users have passwords but i want to enforce complex passwords ie min 8 characters, etc..

Once make these changes to the domain policy, will it only effect new passwords created or will it look at existing passwords and prompt the user to change.

I suppose i could enforce a password change across the domain to enforce this chnage but as some users already have suitable passwords i was wondering if there is a way round it.

Regards

Richard

Re: Adding and Enforcing password policy

Richie,

It will only come into effect when the user has to change their password. All users who have passwords that dont match the 'Complex' requirement will be OK untill they are forced to next xhange their password.

I suppose it's up to you whether you want to force all users to change their password straight away after you implement the complex password. I would also advise all users of the change and what the requirements of the new password are.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

To select the users you need to have complax passwords, you could use a logon script only for those users. Or set the complax password option manually if there are only a few users and then set the password to be changed at next logon.
      Michael
      Forensic IT Consultant

Comment

If you have Win 2003 than forcing to change password is simple:

Use this command line code

dsmod user "cn=username, ou=orgunit, dc=domain, dc=local" -mustchpwd yes

if users have enabled password never expires then first you must disable it via same command

dsmod user "cn=username, ou=orgunit, dc=domain, dc=local" -pwdneverexpires no
        Arber I. Ibrahimi

Comment

Working...
        X