Install PDF Creator through a GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install PDF Creator through a GPO

I have taken my first steps at installing software through a GPO and have ran into trouble already!

Using Windows 2003 SBS I created a folder under the default Client Apps folder call PDFCreator and put the MSI file in there.

I then created a new a new GPO for the application. I went to

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > SOFTWARE SETTINGS > SOFTWARE INSTALLATION

RIGHT CLICKED > NEW > PACKAGE

I navigated to the installation package and clicked OK and used the default ASSINGED option

I then applied the GPO to my OU and enabled the FORCED option.

When I logged in the PC I noticed it had not installed so I ran the RSOP.MSC utility. This tells me the following

08 September 2006 10:52:56

Software Installation failed due to the error listed below.
    The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Additional Information:
    The install of application PDFCreator from policy - TE - 8 - App install PDF Creator Computer failed. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

I then clicked start and run and typed \\server\share\clientapps\pdfcreator and checked I could read and write to this location, it worked fine.

Any ideas why I could not get this installed ?

Re: Install PDF Creator through a GPO

In speculation, since it's assigned to the computer it won't have a user's context to access the resource, try giving Authenticated Users the read permission.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks JeremyW

I gave that a shot... still the same.

brian

Comment

Hmm, well there has to be a breakdown somewhere. Have you checked both Share permissions and NTFS permissions? Is the server always available? Another thought, does the msi package require input from a users or is it fully automated?

I haven't ever deployed software through GPO policy (not in a prodution environment at least) so I'm just throwing out ideas.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Gave this another go this morning and it works now

Here is what I done.

Open up Active Directory Users and Computers

Right click on the OU you want to use to host the GPO to deploy the package and select Properties

Select the Group Policy tab.

Click edit to edit an existing Group Policy or New to create a new Group Policy.

Browse to Computer Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software installation.

Right click Software installation and select New -> Package.

In the Open dialog box, type the full UNC path of the shared installer package that you want. For example, \\file server\share\file name.msi.

Important Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path to the shared installer package.

Select Assigned on the Deploy Software Dial
          I then uninstalled it by

Open up Active Directory Users and Computers

Right click on the OU you want to use to host the GPO to deploy the package and select Properties

Select the Group Policy tab.

Click edit to edit an existing Group Policy or New to create a new Group Policy.

Browse to Computer Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software installation

Right click the application > All Tasks > Remove

I selected the imediate option.
          After a reboot the application was uninstalled.

Hope this helps someone.
          Last edited by brian873; 11th September 2006, 15:56.

Comment

Working...
          X