Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX record with a dynamic IP

Hello,

I set up a Exchange server but then I realized that my ISP (Internet service provider) does not have static ip.

So, RicklesP has been so kind as to suggest me to use DDNS service.

The thing is that I don't need a domain like whatever.dyndns.org , but my own domain: limoreed.eu , so the mx record should go: mail.limoreed.eu. , which again, the great RicklesP says it can be provided by DDNS, but I don't understand how, because I read this:

"...One of the most reliable ways of determining if a message is spam that is being sent from a dynamic IP address. This is followed closely by failure of PTR record to return the domains name (reverse DNS validation). You will fail to deliver to many domains unless you use a relay with a static IP address..."

In short, I am seeking to map:

mail.limoreed.eu -----> my dynamic ip (the ip of my router)

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: MX record with a dynamic IP

Surely a reserved/fixed IP from your ISP can't be that expensive? Removes the problem.

If that really isn't an option, have a read of some previous work done elsewhere on this subject:
    'http://serverfault.com/questions/445957/dynamic-ip-and-mx-record'
    Last edited by RicklesP; 17th March 2015, 23:08.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

If you have the dyndns option already done then point your mx record to that name and it will work.

We have this setup for multiple sites in our org to point all email for that domain to our external DNS name.

Example

remoteoffice.com MX Preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.headoffice.com

Comment

Thanks both.

RicklesP put me in the right track in another thread, so I looked into it further on my own and I got to what you wullieb1 says (which essentially was what RicklesP said in the other thread, but I just didn't get it) :

1. In DDNS provider:

A record: loureed5.ddns.net . . 22.33.44.55 (my router's public ip)

2. In my dns provider (piensasolutions.com):

mx record: limorees.com . . mail.limorees.com
        cname: mail.limorees.com . . loureed5.ddns.net

3. I installed DUC client in my ISA firewall machine (which faces the internet) and every five minute, it gets the current ip of my router and then the A record above gets updated.

It took me a while to grasp the idea from RicklesP, but I finally managed.

MANY THANKS BOTH!
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

You're welcome, and thanks for posting your overall step-by-step for accomplishing it. Someone else could benefit.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X