Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - Pings on LAN return 127.0.53.53 address - Name Collision ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Pings on LAN return 127.0.53.53 address - Name Collision ?

I have been experiencing problems with computers on my LAN for a couple of months now. Computers are not able to connect to some of their application and file servers by hostname. When I ping the servers from any of the computers that are experiencing the problem, I get a reply from 127.0.53.53 . I Googled this and see that this is called "name collision" and have found some good information on it from ICANN, but haven't seen anything that would help me correct it in my own network. My domain name ends in ".finance" and has had the same name for 15 years. I see that .finance is now in the list of top-level domain names ( http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt ). I assume that queries from my .finance domain is leaking into the public DNS. What I haven't found is any recommended ways to correct this. Not being a DNS expert, I am solving it temporarily by using the windows hosts file on my windows client computers. What is a better way that will fix it in DNS ? Should I change the domain name or the .finance part of the domain name ? How difficult is it to change ? Any better or easier ways to fix it ? My domain controller is Windows 2003 R2.

Re: HELP - Pings on LAN return 127.0.53.53 address - Name Collision ?

What are you using for your DNS domain name?

We have a .com domain name in our org and have zero issues with internal name resolution whatsoever.

Can you please explain your environment a bit.

Are your computers issued DHCP address and what are they using for primary and secondary DNS?

Are your servers pointing to internal or external DNS servers?

I presume you have AD running so here is how it should be configured.

1. All servers point only to your internal DNS server/s for DNS resolution.
    2. All clients get a DHCP address from a DHCP server and point only to your internal DNS servers for DNS resolution.
    3. All DNS servers use forwarders to your ISP for external DNS name resolution.

As it stands I would resume your clients are using an external DNS server such as Googles as its primary or secondary server and that's why your having issues.

Comment

**My reply has been modified as I was a little hasty in my original reply regarding DNS settings on client computers

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      What are you using for your DNS domain name?
      ciboladp.finance

Can you please explain your environment a bit.
      Our network has about 75 Windows computers, mostly Win7 and a few XP computers. We have one and only one DC running Server 2003 R2 with one forest and one domain that handles everything including DHCP and DNS. We DO NOT have exchange server but we do run Oracle and SQL server.

Are your computers issued DHCP address and what are they using for primary and secondary DNS?
      Yes, our one and only DC provides addresses with DHCP. Client computers are also pulling DNS server addresses from the DHCP server and when I do an IP config /All on a client PC, it shows the local DNS server as the primary DNS server and the Qwest isp address as the alternate DNS server. So maybe I need to change DNS to not hand out an alternate DNS server address ???

Are your servers pointing to internal or external DNS servers?
      We have one and only one DC. The preferred DNS address on this server is it's own address 192.168.71.67 the alternate DNS address is left blank like we do on the PC's.

I presume you have AD running so here is how it should be configured.

1. All servers point only to your internal DNS server/s for DNS resolution.
      Yes, servers point to internal DNS server for DNS resolution
      2. All clients get a DHCP address from a DHCP server and point only to your internal DNS servers for DNS resolution.
      Servers, have a static IP address and their primary DNS server address is our local DC or DNS server. Secondary DNS server address is left blank
      3. All DNS servers use forwarders to your ISP for external DNS name resolution.
      I do not understand DNS well enough to know what forwarders are or if that's what we are using. This was a 2000 domain that was migrated to 2003 a few years back so whatever DNS settings came over from the old DC is what we have, I didn't configure it manually.

As it stands I would resume your clients are using an external DNS server such as Googles as its primary or secondary server and that's why your having issues.
      Client computers get their DNS settings from the DHCP server and are getting an outside address for an alternate DNS server address. I think I need to fix this in DHCP some way ? How ?

Thank you....Mike
      Last edited by starrouter; 29th October 2014, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by starrouter View Post
        Client computers get their DNS settings from the DHCP server and are getting an outside address for an alternate DNS server address. I think I need to fix this in DHCP some way ? How ?

Thank you....Mike
        This is your issue.

Remove the second entry from the DHCP scope and add your required ISP DNS into the forwarders tab.

Remove Rogue DNS entry from DHCP Scope

1. Logon to your server that controls DHCP, I would presume your DC.
        2. Open the DHCP Admin Console.
        3. There are a couple of places this could be added so you'll need to check these:
        a. Click on your Scope then Scope Options and if there double click on 006 DNS Servers and remove the second entry.
        b. Click on Server options and if there double click on 006 DNS Servers and remove the second entry.
        4. Close DHCP console.
        5. Release and renew the IP address on a client PC, a reboot will do the same thing.

Add DNS Forwarder

1. Logon to your server that controls internal DNS, I would presume your DC.
        2. Open the DNS Admin Console.
        3. Right Click on the server and click on properties.
        4. Click on the forwarders tab.
        5. Click on Add and enter the IP address that your ISP has given you for DNS resolution.
        6. Click on OK until you get back to the main DNS console screen.
        7. Close the console.
        8. Run an ipconfig /flushdns on the server.

Comment

Thank you Wullieb1, Ill give that a try this morning....

Comment

OK, I made the change and it looks so far like this has corrected my DNS problems. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Comment

After making your suggested change this morning, my network and internet has worked faster and better than it has in months. Thank you very much for your assistance Wullieb1

Comment

Originally posted by starrouter View Post
                After making your suggested change this morning, my network and internet has worked faster and better than it has in months. Thank you very much for your assistance Wullieb1
                Excellent news.

Thanks for getting back to us with an outcome. We do appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X