Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP not working to Server with host name

Hi all,

When I try to rdp to a server using hostname and enter my login credentials, the following error message is as follows:

The connection cannot be completed because the remote computer that was reached is not the one
    you specified. This could be caused by an outdated entry in the DNS cache. Try using the IP address of the computer
    instead of the name.

I am able to remote in if I use the ip address of the server.

On the troublesome server:

Server has dual NIC but only one is enabled both in network connections and device manager. I have checked both servers responsible for DNS and the A record mapping the particular host name to the ip address is there. There is only one hostname to ip address entry on each server.

I flushed DNS on the target server already. I am able to ping all DNS servers from the problematic server using both hostname and ip address and vice versa. Time and date on all servers are the same and accurate.

What could the problem be?

Thanks,

Phil

Re: RDP not working to Server with host name

Does the server have two network cards? Try and disable one.
    Don't forget to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by _TechSup1983 View Post
      Does the server have two network cards? Try and disable one.
      Already done. See OP's original message.

Have you flushed your DNS cache on your device??

Comment

Check the HOSTS file on the box you're trying to connect FROM. If the HOSTS file doesn't have an entry for the server you're trying to connect TO, then check reverse lookups on DNS.

If the Forward zones are correct, make sure there are no incorrect entries in the Reverse zones. Those entries are notorious for causing weird problems.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Ok, I found the answer. The server hostname actually had a dash in it. My environment has a mixed naming convention and there were two a records listed one for the name with the dash in it and one for the name without.

That's why I was able to ping on both names (since there were two a records both pointing to the same ip addresses).

Bottom line is, I rdp'd on the correct hostname entry (the one without the dash) and I removed the a record for the hostname containing the dash.

This way, any ensuing admin wouldn't be deceived by successful pings in future attempts/tests.

Thanks, guys!

Comment

I hate it when that happens. Nice work finding that and THANKS for posting back with the solution. MUCH Appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	rockon.gif
Views:	3
Size:	381 Bytes
ID:	466850
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X