No announcement yet.

local IP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• local IP

Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to give an internal IP server address a name.. so that when the agents/casual users type that name it points to the server directly.

the server has for sure a static IP address and a specific port number too. I just don't know how to make the local DNS resolve this.

I have a domain controller with DHCP, active directory, and the DNS manager.

please advice,

Re: local IP

If the server is part of the domain your DNS server should have a record for it.

If not, log onto the affected server and run:

ipconfig /registerdns

from a command prompt. Or, create an A record and PTR record on your DNS server with the appropriate settings. The clients should then be able to type \\servername and display the shared resources on that server.

Can you give more info on the port number - is it for a specific service?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

yes the server is a part of my domain and I have a record for it.

the server is a "timetrex" attendance punch in/out system.

please help,
      thanks for your support.

Do you have both records? A in the forward lookup zone and PTR in the reverse lookup zone.

I'm not familiar with Timetrex - is this a web-based application? Does it run off IIS? If so, is it the website you are after via Internet Explorer (http://servername) or, as implied by your question, just the server name from Windows Explorer (\\servername)

If it is a website, and you have more than one website running on the server learn about host headers.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy