What Is Windows Name Resolution Sequence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Windows Name Resolution Sequence

We are Facing Some Host Name resolution Issue.

We have configured a Host With Server1.abc.com on this we have configured Mailing Application. For this Server1 we added one more DNS Entry its Mail.abc.com.

Now in Outlook we Giving Mail.abc.com as outgoing and incoming Server Name.

Problem: Some time From Client if we ping Mail.abc Com it resolves internet IP not to the Local IP ! this thing Happen Only When we Add 8.8.8.8 in Advanced DNS Option at Client Side.
    My Query is If the Primery and Secondery Server Ip Are Exist in IP Properties Why it using Internet Ip for My Local host...!

please guide.

Re: What Is Windows Name Resolution Sequence

If you are letting clients use an external DNS server, it doesn't know about your internal naming and IP addresses, so it will attempt to resolve the public name.

Clients should ONLY use internal DNS servers, which can use public DNS servers as forwarders
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for reply,

But If I given a Primary DNS and Secondary DNS as My Local DNS IP; the Resolution should be done from Primary then > Secondary and then to > additional DNS IP.

Please Correct me if I Am Wrong.

Comment

yes. but if it speaks to your primary dns server, and your primary dns server fails for some reason, it will try and resolve it from it's forwarders.

also, are your primary and secondarey name servers the same ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

No The Name Servers are Different.

i think When this issue Occurring that time my Primary DNS and Secondary DNS were not responding.... and the query goes to the Public DNS IP

How Can I find the DNS Not responding Time ? and the reason.

Any Suggestion !

Comment

Your client PC's in a domain environment should never have external DNS servers added to the DNS settings, or DHCP.

Can you please explain exactly how DNS is setup for your Org.

Basic setup should consist of the following:

1: DNS Server is setup on a server of some sort, I usually set them up on a DC.
            2: The DNS Server should have forwarders setup to allow for external name resolution. You could use Root Hints but I would typically use my ISP's DNS servers. At a push I would use Google's DNS Servers.
            2: All clients should point to the internal server and nothing else.

How does DNS work? Read here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx

From your post above it reads as follows

Server 1 - Mail Application (Is this exchange server or something else?)

What is your DNS server and where is it located?

Comment

Yes Below I shared the Details.

Windows 2003 R2 STD 32 Bit
              Hostname :Maindc (AD and DNS configured, Under the Reverse Look up zone Created 4 zones i.e. 192.168.0.x sunet / 192.168.1.x Subnet / 192.168.0.2.x subnet / 192.168.0.3.x subnet)

IP : 192.168.0.252
              Subnet : 255.255.252.0
              Gateway : 192.168.0.217

Primary DNS: 192.168.0.252
              Seconadary DNS : 192.168.0.7
              -------------------------------------
              Windows 2003 R2 STD 32Bit
              Hostname : Adcserver (Additional Domain Controller and DNS configured, Under the Reverse Look up zone Created 4 zones i.e. 192.168.0.x sunet / 192.168.1.x Subnet / 192.168.0.2.x subnet / 192.168.0.3.x subnet)
              IP : 192.168.0.7

-------------------------------------------------------
              Hostname:Server1 (Other MAil Application- Windows 2008R2)
              Extra Entry Added for This IP > Mail.abc.com
              IP : 192.168.0.6

Location In same Place not Located in remote.

Comment

Originally posted by swapneel View Post
                But If I given a Primary DNS and Secondary DNS as My Local DNS IP; the Resolution should be done from Primary then > Secondary and then to > additional DNS IP.

Please Correct me if I Am Wrong.
                Yes, you are wrong.

A Windows system only ever uses the primary DNS server, until that server becomes unavailable, at which point it switches to the secondary server. It does not switch back until the secondary server becomes unavailable, or the system is rebooted.

Comment

Working...
                X