Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-MSFT DHCP server / AD/DNS and yellow exclamation "No Internet" icon

Hello,

I have a vyatta-based router I also am using for DHCP. My DNS is Microsoft A/D and my clients use that as the primary DNS and the router as the 2nd (this is in case there is a problem with the MSFT server that my workstations can still get on the Internet.) But I am trying to figure out how to make that stupid "No Internet Access" yellow ! go away. It is appearing even though the clients can get online A-OK. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: non-MSFT DHCP server / AD/DNS and yellow exclamation "No Internet" icon

The "No Internet Access" message is determined by whether the computer can lookup www.msftncsi.com and then access http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt.

Test it from the server and work stations. If it doesn't come up then that's why the message is there.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I just pointed that domain to my internal web server and created the text file. It seems to be working OK is that an acceptable way of handling this? Thanks

Comment

That pretty much defeats the effectiveness of the check but it's not crucial to have. I would guess that your firewall might be blocking it.

If you don't want to have the check you can leave things as is. If you would like the check then you need to troubleshoot why the computers can't reach that destination.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

NEVER use any other DNS server for AD clients except the DNS server(s) that hold the AD zones.

Comment

Working...
          X