No announcement yet.

My Funky DNS issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Funky DNS issue

Recently turned up a site in Mesa, AZ. The site is connected via dmvpn. The workstations point to the same DNS servers I use on my workstation in Austin Tx. The weird thing is that a handful of sites (Yahoo, bank of america, do not load in any browser. What I mean by do not load is..

** they do resolve via nslookup and show the info coming from the right dc/dns server

** they do resolve via icmp

** if i open a browser and try to connect to, you can see the 443 and 80 connections in netstat

**after all of the above, the browser wheel just sits there and spins and never loads the page. Same results with IE and Chrome.

So the Mesa location appears to be close enough to mexico that no matter what dns servers I use they shoot me over to I am thinking this overall issue is something that has to do with their location, but am not sure.

Any insight or anybody with similar issues would be appreciated to hear from.
    Last edited by 200mg; 27th January 2014, 19:38.

Re: My Funky DNS issue

When you say "they resolve via ICMP", do you mean you get echo replies back when you ping these servers? Does Internet access from this site also go through the VPN tunnel?

It sounds to me like the traffic is being routed to the wrong network, or perhaps asymmetric routing causes NAT to fail. Can you post the results of a tracert?

Re: My Funky DNS issue

Thanks for the reply, yes, when I ping the domain names, they resolve. They resolve to the same IP's that my pc resolve's because we are both using the same dc for our primary dns server. Only on their end the page never comes up. The weird thing is this is only happening to a very small amount of domains.

Tracing route to []
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.x.x.x
      2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 4.x.x.x
      3 6 ms 4 ms 4 ms []
      4 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms []
      5 7 ms 5 ms 5 ms []
      6 26 ms 25 ms 24 ms []
      7 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms []
      8 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms []
      9 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms []
      10 25 ms 24 ms 23 ms []