Cannot delete DNS Record as Administrator on Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot delete DNS Record as Administrator on Domain Controller

For some reason when I log into the domain controller as domain administrator I cannot delete an existing DNS Record. However, when I log in as me ( I have Domain Admin rights) and access DNS Manager from my machine, it works.

I added a new entry and deleted it and it worked fine.

When I log in to the server as me and try to delete it also doesn't work.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? I'm afraid there may be permissions not setup correctly but everything looks good.

Re: Cannot delete DNS Record as Administrator on Domain Controller

Is your DC also the DNS server you mention? Assuming so, it sounds like neither your domain admin nor the default domain admin acct has the rights on the server, but at least your personal domain admin acct has the rights from your PC using a remote admin console.

What OS's are we talking about here, at both ends of this? Is this a new system with initial default configs? Did this just start after a range of updates or changes, or has it always been this way? Out of the box and unless changed, a user account with domain admin membership should at least be able to set up and manage DNS, DHCP, Group Policy and so forth, esp. when on the DC for the domain. Since this works remotely but not locally on the server, I'd hazard a guess at a security policy issue applied to the DC's that shouldn't be.

Do you have other DC's to compare against?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X