Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FQDN Setup

Hi,

I have been looking through forums to see if there were previous talk about setting up DNS on server 2003, but as of now I have not seen anything. If there is one, my apologies.

I am looking to setup a server with server 2003 and clients to be using win 7. My main question and I have looked all over the net about FQDNN which I still don't fully understand. The company has a domain in use and I am not sure if I can use the current domain and add a subdomain to setup the server, or would the company of to purchase a new domain.

Example:
    domain in use - abc.com
    FQDN for server - citystate.abc.com

Will the subdomain have to be created through the dns manager or will the server automatically create it and the proceed from there to complete the setup?

Appreciate any inputs

Thanks,

new2tech

Re: FQDN Setup

ok - the current domain - what is it used for ?

if you're talking about creating an internal Active Directory domain, you could use the same domain you already have.

a bit more information is required though, to help find the best outcome
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for replying tehcamel.

Well the current domain is used for their website. As of right now the purpose for the server is to access quick books along with other programs and database within the network simultaneously and access the server with rdp/vpn or terminal web service outside the network by centralizing the users and computers with AD.

I am not much of working with servers but have an idea. This is the first time setting one up and would like to do it right without any future problems.

If you think another solution or setup is better, by all means do let me know.

- by the way, last night for testing purposes I setup a virtual server and when I tried to join the domain with the client laptop i got an error. i have attached the dcdiag text file.

new2tech
      Attached Files

Comment

ok, so:

install server with Windows
        run DC Promo and configure basic domain. This includes name services
        point server network configuration to itself for name services
        ensure you configure name servers to use root servers or other forwarder
        configure Workstations to point to domain controller for dns services.

basically - your computes you want to join to the AD Domain need to know where to find details for that AD domain. Those details are held on the AD DNS server, not the public DNS servers.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

alright...so far today i was able to install svr 2k3 on the actual machine. as followed by your instructions: ran dcpromo and configured basic settings for domain. pointed the server network to itself (127.0.0.1).

i am now stuck on configuring ns to forwarder. am i supposed to use the same fqdn i used?

new2tech

Comment

How big is the company? If this is going to affect a lot of users then getting a consultant in would be best. If it's a small amount of users and they're willing to put up with some issues as they get ironed out then learning as you go might work for you.

FQDN = fully qualified domain name.
            It's made up of two parts, the hostname and the domain name. So if the domain is abc.com and the server name is server1, the FQDN is server1.abc.com. If there is a subdomain, citystate.abc.com, then the FQDN is server1.citystate.abc.com.

There should be no need to mess around with the NS records. You do need to setup forwarding for the most efficient operation but I imagine that you're having problems resolving your external resources. This is because, if the internal domain name is abc.com, the DNS server thinks it knows about all the resources in the abc.com domain. This is a split DNS setup. What need to happen is you need to add all the external resource records to your local DNS so that internally you can resolve them.

It might be easier to use an alternate domain name that doesn't need to be registered. e.g. abc.local. That way you don't need to do double the work with the DNS configuration and the external resources will be available without any additional configuration.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

@tehcamel - thank you for the instructions. I was able to setup the server and clients during the last few days.

@JeremyW - as well to you, thanks as I now clearly understand how the FQDN works.

Just needed a little some knowledge to understand. Appreciate all the help.

new2tech

Comment

Glad to help. Let us know if you have anymore questions.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X