SBS Server behind Dual WAN router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Server behind Dual WAN router

I'm not sure if there is an answer to this but we've just come across a cracking wee problem:
    We have an SBS server sitting behind a dual WAN setup running exchange, the main line is notoriously bad for reliability hence the second one there for backup. When the main line goes down the router uses the backup line and all is good in the office. E-mail is collected on the server by Popcon so it doesn't matter which line is active at any time for e-mail to still work.
    Last night however for the first time the main line went down while every one was out of the office. This meant that no-one could access any e-mail from their phones etc. as they were all setup to use the domain mail.contoso.com which points to the static IP on the main line.
    Leading in to my question, is it possible to setup a subdomain in DNS that tries one IP address and then another if there is no response from the first, as there is with MX records?
    I hope someone can help with this as like any other business we are pretty much dead in the water without e-mail

Re: SBS Server behind Dual WAN router

DNS cannot provide this functionality. The reason MX records work this way is because the server that is trying to connect chooses to test the first one and then moves on to the next, if any, if there's a failure. So DNS isn't providing any fault tolerance but the protocol is.

However, there are a few options for the fault tolerance you're looking for. Check out this thread: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?p=275032
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

DAMN YOU DNS!!!!!!
      Thanks for the help though Jeremy

Comment

What I would do for this is use Dynamic DNS (e.g. DYNDNS for free), shove the agent on a windows server and it will update the DNS record if and when it fails over (which has a low TTL anyway).

Don't use the built in router config as when they are both online you'll have both updating the record.

Don't use it for production\critical records (e.g. MX records), but you can use it simply for phone connections etc.

Job Done!
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
          What I would do for this is use Dynamic DNS (e.g. DYNDNS for free), shove the agent on a windows server and it will update the DNS record if and when it fails over (which has a low TTL anyway).

Don't use the built in router config as when they are both online you'll have both updating the record.

Don't use it for production\critical records (e.g. MX records), but you can use it simply for phone connections etc.

Job Done!
          Genius
          Thank you

Comment

I try!
            * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
            X