Moving a host from our internal network to a hosted environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a host from our internal network to a hosted environment

We currently are running a Windows 2008 domain with DNS. Our domain is (for instance) ABC.com. We have an AIX host with a DNS record. That host is 123 (GQDN would be 123.ABC.com). We are migrating that host to an oracle hosted environment. The new FQDN of this host would be 123.oraclehosting.com. We currently have a tunnel going from our network to that hosted network. Currently we can put 123 in our browser and it will browse to our current AIX host. What will we need to do in DNS to point 123 from 123.abc.com to 123.oraclehosting.com. New zone? We can not be forced to use 123.oraclehosting.com as we have many links throughout our organization using just 123 (not the FQDN). Thanks

Re: Moving a host from our internal network to a hosted environment

You could create a DNS zone for oraclehosting.com and add whatever DNS records you need in it.

The downside is that you won't be able to access any other hosts or services at the oraclehosting.com domain unless you add all of their records to your DNS zone.

I have seen people do this but it's not very effective long term and it may become a management headache.

Comment

Does 123.oraclehosting.com have a static IP address? If so you could try changing 123.abc.com record to that IP address and see if it works.

If it doesn't then you're only option is to update your code to reference the new location.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Cant believe I'm saying this and I'll deny it if anyone asks, but your cleanest solution for a one-off like this might very well be LMHOSTS
        Rules of life:
        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
        2. Simplicity is godliness
        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
          Cant believe I'm saying this and I'll deny it if anyone asks, but your cleanest solution for a one-off like this might very well be LMHOSTS
          Just to clarify:

LMHOSTS is for NetBIOS name (single-label) to ip address resolution

HOSTS is for DNS name (FQDN) to ip address resolution

Comment

Good catch thanks!

That mistake alone speaks volumes of my propensity to avoid it
            Rules of life:

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Mine too!

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Mine too!
                This does seriously sound like a good use-case for it though...
                Rules of life:

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
                  This does seriously sound like a good use-case for it though...
                  Hey UPN, I humbly disagree. If the case was that there were one or two computer that need to resolve a hostname to a different IP address then this would be a good solution. But since this is changing the location of a known resource it should be centrally controlled and there's no benefit or difference to making the change locally in the hosts file verses centrally on the DNS server.

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Does 123.oraclehosting.com have a static IP address? If so you could try changing 123.abc.com record to that IP address and see if it works.

If it doesn't then you're only option is to update your code to reference the new location.
                  :facepalm: Actually, I think a CNAME record would be perfect for this situation.
                  You can use the hosts file to test on one machine and verify it will work. Once you've finished testing you can delete the A record for 123.abc.com and then create a CNAME record for 123.abc.com point to the FQDN of the hosted DB.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X