Missing hosts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing hosts

Created a couple of new DNS servers last week (Monday) and DHCP. Had a couple of issues with remote users so I changed the DNS pointers back to our old ones, which sorted it until I could test more.

All seemed to be fine until I walked in this morning and I could not get onto our Intranet or print. In the end I de-activated the replicated DHCP scopes on the new servers and went back to the old.

I noticed during the issues that all DHCP settings (clientside) seemed ok apart from primary DNS was 127.0.0.1

Another thing I've observed is missing entries from some of the DNS servers, moreso our secondary DNS which was fine originally. Can't understand why an entry would disappear for a Server which was there last week. I can ping but not resolve.

Re: Missing hosts

So any thoughts on this?

I know static are entries that are either written either manually or as a system default and ones with dates are typically assigned dynamically by system processes or the DHCP server (Or systems assigned a DHCP address, depending on the configuration).

Seems strange that some Server entries were removed from DNS, hence the issues but what determines a timestamp entry versus static?

Comment

Scavening can remove records but static ones are not touched unless they are specifically modified to do so (certainly not default).
      Is replication ok between these two servers?

If primary DNS is 127.0.0.1 then that would imply clients would look to themselves for DNS which would fail. Have you double checked the DHCP proprties that are set?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

We don't have scavenging enabled, but I was surprised that so many servers had date stamps, which I've now edited not to delete record (static), but why several hosts weren't there although there were previously was strange.

Replication is fine between the DNS, btw each is on a DC and not secondary servers so I would be really worried if this was failing.

That said, I was looking at the SOA settings. I take it the default authority is the server the zone is on and not another server, such as the DC Master?

DHCP settings were fine, we had the two new DNS at the top of the list and I'm sure it's DNS that was the problem.

I'm still trying to fathom why the client dhcp was set to 127.0.0.1 when checking IP local config.

Comment

The only thing that pops into my mind is that the DHCP's scope option for DNS (006) was misconfigured and that the loopback address was used instead of the static IP of a DNS server
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
            The only thing that pops into my mind is that the DHCP's scope option for DNS (006) was misconfigured and that the loopback address was used instead of the static IP of a DNS server
            127.0.0.1 was one of the addresses I also noted in the DNS, of course it should have entered my mind that I was in DCHP scope options, not DNS options.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
              127.0.0.1 was one of the addresses I also noted in the DNS, of course it should have entered my mind that I was in DCHP scope options, not DNS options.
              So, what are you saying? Was 127.0.0.1 incorrectly assigned to the 006 option? If so, did you enter the correct address instead? Is the issue resolved?
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
              X