DNS Best Prectises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Best Prectises

Heres a good one I found * wondered what people's views were.

I just set a DC up (DC02 - 2nd in the domain) & installed DNS.

My own knowledge would say set the servers network card Primary DNS IP to 127.0.0.1 & then the Alternate IP to another DNS server in the domain. In my case DC01.

I just came across an article which said not to set the primary DNS as 127.0.0.1 The reason being is if this was set to its self the server would only ever query its self which could cause it to become isolated and potential issues would be missed. By forcing it to check another server will keep records consistent throughout the domain.

The article recommended:

Primary DNS: Another DCAlternate DNS: 127.0.0.1

My view is I kinda agree but the DNS response times will suffer

What are peoples views on this?

Re: DNS Best Prectises

Some best practice here:
    http://smtp25.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03...practices.html

I am sure I have also read "primary DNS to other DC, secondary to itself" but cannot find a reference.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is really good stuff, thanks

If the DNS article it says

Using more than 2 NIC on the DC's/DNS's are NO NO NO !!!!!!

My DC has 4 NICS which I trunked together to create 1 virtual NIC so the server only had x1 IP

Would you say this is the right way to go or would you un-trunk them & only use 2 & then disable the other 2?

Comment

I would assume you have one NiC (since the individual ones are not visible to the rest of the OS)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you have 4 NIC's setup in teaming then the OS should only see 1 NIC and use it.

I personally hate the use of 127.0.0.1 as the DNS server settings. This is just my personal preference though.

What you have to be careful of in setting your servers DNS to your secondary server is that on a reboot the server may not respond to DNS request and as such it could slow down your boot time.

Comment

Working...
          X