Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of forward lookup

HI
    My organization has a forward lookup zone that has all the DC's in it.. The Dc are all spread out across the world and communicate via VPNs (i will include pics)

they are complaining about weird dns issues . in the group A (hanoi) look up zones are the dc's i have found that if you go into the properties of these servers, there old dc are listed in there and are listed as "unknown" i know those can be removed but for some reason they have to be removed on each dc individually.

My question is two fold : is that lookup zone needed? Should or could it be incorporated into the local name? Can someone give a recommendations before i make any changes.

Many thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by teklabs; 3rd October 2012, 15:01.

Re: removal of forward lookup

I've found that when a DC is removed gracefully it still leaves a few objects/entries around. One is in sites/service under the site it was in (this can just be deleted) and another is where you are seeing them. If you delete them from one server and allow time to replicate then they should remove from all servers if everything is ok. Have you given it time to replicate out?
    If this doens't happen then I would check with dcdiag/repadmin to see if everything is as it should be.
    I've also found it beneficial to scan through the main domain zone to ensure there are no residual entries for these removed DCs as well. I've had entries for Kerberos etc still remaining (for whatever reason!) and things like this can cause seeming random lookup/authentication failures.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks Andy,

Did you see the screenshot i posted?
      The domain controllers are living in that Hanoi zone and not sure if that can be removed. That is what i want to get rid of but not sure it will break anything once i do delete it as there are still active servers in the domain there. don't know how they got there but they are there. There are no errors it is causing but my manager just wants to get rid of it.

any other opinions on that?

Comment

Can you ping them, do you know if they still exist?
        I don't know your network/setup so it's hard to make a definitive comment but if there aren't any other records in there then it is probably not needed.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X