Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Dns

Hello all

I'm having problems configuring Dns I have 2 servers DC1 and DC2 I would like to have one primary the other secondary. DC1 has dhcp and active directory set up with the address 10.92.8.4/24, I have the address 10.92.8.5 as my preferred Dns address and loopback address as my alternate.

DC2 has the address 10.92.8.5 with the same address as my preferred Dns and loopback as my alternate is that correct?

Re: Configuring Dns

Yes, that is correct
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You don't indicate your OS version but for two DCs I would personally use the other DC as primary and loopback (or local IP) for secondary on each box. 2008 does have the ability to wait for DNS to start before AD but for two boxes I think it's better this way.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I thought that was what he said he was doing -- if not

Yes, other DC as primary, self as secondary
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To be honest mate I read it 3 times and still wasn't sure
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Too early in the morning.... need coffee....
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by messi View Post
              Hello all

I'm having problems configuring Dns I have 2 servers DC1 and DC2 I would like to have one primary the other secondary. DC1 has dhcp and active directory set up with the address 10.92.8.4/24, I have the address 10.92.8.5 as my preferred Dns address and loopback address as my alternate.

DC2 has the address 10.92.8.5 with the same address as my preferred Dns and loopback as my alternate is that correct?
              not quite.

Server 10.92.8.4 has: NS1-10.92.8.5 & NS2-127.0.0.1
              Server 10.92.8.5 has: NS1-10.92.8.4 & NS2-127.0.0.1

(you had server2 pointing to itself, twice..)

Also - with AD DNS, there's not "really" a concept of Primary and Secondary DNS servers.. they are all multi-master..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I meant primary as in "first in the list" in the network settings dialog
                Still too early in the morning...
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X