DNS record for one server keeps disappearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS record for one server keeps disappearing

We had an issue on 9th August where the DNS name of one of our fileservers in a remote site went missing. We were able to ping the server but no DNS record existed.

I thus logged onto the server and issued the following:

IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

Which created a new DNS record in the DNS servers and everything was fine again.

Today, 16th August, around 9:47am AEST, it happened again and to the same server. The only logical thing which could be causing this is that one of our 40 DNS servers is scavaging the DNS record, but I'm not sure if this is the case, and if so, which DNS server is doing this.

Here's the record:

Host: MyFileServer
    IP: 1.2.3.4
    Update associated pointer: UnChecked.
    Delete this record when it becomes stale: Checked.
    Record Timestamp: 16/‎08/‎2012 9:00:00 AM (Thailand Time)
    TTL: 0:0:20:0 (DDDDD:HH:MM:SS)

Interestingly, the difference between Melbourne & Thailand times is Thailand is 3 Hrs behind MLB time. Thus, I received an email from our Thailand users around 10:47am MLB time which equates to 7:46am THAI time.

Does this sound like scavaging in action and if so, how do I stop server records from being deleted but still keep the scavaging function? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: DNS record for one server keeps disappearing

Is the file server a Veritas Cluster at all?
    I assume this is a fixed IP as well rather than DHCP assigned.

Scavenging is a good thing so it would be good to find out why the machine isn't renewing its record. I guess you've checked the DNS settings on the server, seeing as a manual refresh is ok. If you check the security properties of the existing record does it show the machine account$ as having at least write access?

Have a read of this one, it's one of the best I've been pointed to:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/networkin...e-patient.aspx

There is a good blog here
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/networkin...-deletion.aspx

I believe it is best to only allow one server to scavenge in the domain. This should make things easier to manage.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks Andy.

The server has a fixed IP and is simply a stand-alone fileserver. I've checked the security for the record and, as I thought so, the machine does have full control of it's own DNS record- I think IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS run from the server would have set this when it created its own record.

I'll have a read of the links you sent and I'll post back with anything I find.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Anything in the event logs about DNS registration failing too?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

In my case, I was getting this issue along with event 5774 (failed dynamic dns registration). The issue was the primary DNS server was, instead of pointing to its own IP, was pointing to the loopback (127.0.0.1) and that couldnt very well be registered as an A record. Once I fixed that and pushed ipconfig /registerdns, this propogated out through to all other servers being replicated to. Yay.

Comment

Working...
          X