Query the name server doen not get any record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query the name server doen not get any record

Just need to know what the answer to this was, it was a question in an interview, I still have no idea how to solve it....
    Thanks for helping me understand..

A customer has setup a domain and website (abc.com) on their VPS and is trying to get mail for that domain routed to that VPS. The domain uses the provider ís name servers, and the MX record for the domain is:

Hostname mail
    Type (IN) MX
    Content mail.abc.com.
    Priority 0
    TTL 600

There is a corresponding ĎAí record pointing the hostname Ďmailí to the VPSís IP address. If you query the provider name servers directly (using dig or nslookup for example) for the MX record for Ďabc.comí, you donít get any returned records. If you query Ďmail.abc.comí you get the IP address of the VPS as expected. Explain to the customer what they need to change about the MX record to get it working as intended.

Thank you!!

Re: Query the name server doen not get any record

Have a look at the content line.

Without actually seeing the return of the query it could prove to be difficult but i would probably say that the content should be abc.com. rather than mail.abc.com.

Comment

Thanks for that, I was thinking more the priority set to "0"
      just because never seen it before set to 0, only 10, 20, .....

Actually your answer can be right:

querying mail.abc.com return a record

instead querying the provider name server, judging from the m record will look at:

mail.mail.abc.com which does not exist.

Is that what you meant?

Thank you

Comment

Yes exactly what i meant.

The priority is only meant to specify what servers are to be tried in what order.

Comment

Working...
        X