I am new to DNS config.

Situation:
    Site A (main site)
    DC1 W2k8R2 / DNS / DHCP
    DC2 W2K8R2 / DNS
    Site B
    DNS / DHCP /no AD yet, this server will become RODC

What I want to achieve:
    DNS from site A should be updated to site B and DNS from site B should be updated to site A so I can resolve all out machine names. (I am working from site B).
    What options do I need to configure on site A in DNS, what options should I configure in site B in DNS

What I configured already in DNS:
    Site B:
    Forward Lookup zone
    Forwarders:
    *added DC1 site A
    *added DC2 site A
    Forward lookup zone domain properties
    *Add IP of site A DC1
    *Add IP of site A DC2
    Site A:
    For site A I did not configure any options to contact site B as site A is the main site. Do I need to configure some options in DNS on my main site?

Should I configure reverse lookup zones? What purpose?
    What should I add in the options of DNS DC1/2 of site A
    What should I configure in the options of DNS on site B

Rgds and thanks for your input

Re: W2K8R2 DNS configuration for 2 sites

As site B will be a Read only Domain Controller (RODC), replication will be from Site A to Site B. Only changes can be made on writable DCs, which will be at Site A. You can control what gets cached on the site B server via the Properties of the RODC computer account within AD once it has been created.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      As site B will be a Read only Domain Controller (RODC), replication will be from Site A to Site B. Only changes can be made on writable DCs, which will be at Site A. You can control what gets cached on the site B server via the Properties of the RODC computer account within AD once it has been created.
      Hi Virtual
      This concerns DNS, not AD. So what should I setup in DNS at site A. at site B I should not configure anything in DNS, just install it with default settings?

Rgds

B

Comment

By you installing (RODC), DNS will become Read Only. I would install it as default settings, which should be AD integrated. However, I would use secure updates only. You only have 1 AD Forest and Domain?

Comment

Ok, understood that dns will be read only as well.
          We currently indeed only have one AD forest / domain.

Comment

I see, you won't need to do anything special then, jsut really what I have already mentioned with regards to DNS.

Optionally, you may wish to configure forwarders, so DNS servers only use a specfiic internal server for internet requests and the server used for internet requests pointing to an ISP DNS server for example but personally, I tend to leave them as the default of using Root Hints.

Comment

Ok, thanks man. Forwarders were already configured at site A.

Comment

Working...
              X