removing a DNS Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing a DNS Server

right at the moment there are three DNS servers on the network. for quite a long time there were just two. primary lived on DC and a secondary lived on a member server in the domain.
    i've since added a 2008 r2 server and it too is a DC with the thought of retiring the old 2003 DC. (so it has DNS integrated with AD)
    when i try to view the 2008 DNS from the 2003 DNS server it says it is offline. however when i go to the 2008 DNS and connect to the other two DNS servers, i can see them.
    the DNS that is acting as the secondary DNS, can i simply remove that as a listed server? this server is retiring as well or at least it will be moved into another roll.

Re: removing a DNS Server

Yes, you can retire it. What list are you referring to you? MMC console? SOA record? The most important thing is to ensure that the clients are not configured to communicate with this DNS server.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

As already recommended. When nothing is pointing at it, use Add/Remove Programs on the 2003 server to remove the DNS server.

Comment

thanks for the replies...

i didn't run the uninstall on the 2003 Server... just disconnected it from the main DC and stopped the Service for the time being.

Comment

thanks for the replies... all working as per normal.

i haven't removed the actual service yet but it is turned down. i have to keep this box handy for a few more weeks then i'll be upgrading it to 2008.

Comment

Good to hear. Feel free to update the thread if you need further help.
            JM @ IT Training & Consulting
            http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
            X