dns server configuration questions - microsoft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns server configuration questions - microsoft

I will try to keep this as simple as possible.

I have two dns servers for our company.

We own a bunch of domains - some are hosted here at our HQ and some are hosted in a few cabinets we have at a data center.

our dns servers are dns1 and dns2

dns1 is located at our HQ

dns2 is located at a data center where we have some servers.

I did this in the hopes that when the link to our HQ went down (and it has a few times) the dns2 box would get accessed.

however since all of our domains list dns1 as the SOA the second dns server is basically useless correct?

I do not have any round robin setup

how can I get things setup with my two dns servers so that when the link to dns1 goes down dns2 can actually file the gap?

thanks!

Re: dns server configuration questions - microsoft

The SOA is irrelevant to a DNS resolver (client). The only thing a DNS resolver looks for (whether the resolver is a client machine or another DNS server on behalf of a client) is the NS records.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The SOA is irrelevant to a DNS resolver (client). The only thing a DNS resolver looks for (whether the resolver is a client machine or another DNS server on behalf of a client) is the NS records.

what about when the ttl's expire for my domains that are SOA'd to dns1?

Comment

Assuming these DNS servers are for intranet name resolution, you need to make sure you have the same zones on both servers. On one DNS the zone is primary and secondary on the other. The SOA record is about the zone, title and one transfer settings.

You need to make sure your clients are configured to use both DNS server, in the TCPIP properties. When one server fails or is not accesible, clients will try the other.
        JM @ IT Training & Consulting
        http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeffj View Post
          what about when the ttl's expire for my domains that are SOA'd to dns1?
          Again, the SOA isn't relevant to DNS client queries. DNS clients don't query for the SOA of a domain (zone) they query for the NS records for a domain. The SOA (while being the most important record) defines global parameters for the zone (such as the default TTL for resource records when a specific TTL is not defined for said resource records), but isn't used by DNS clients in DNS resolution or in the locating of name servers for said zone.

A DNS client trying to query the name servers for your domain may query the first name server first or it may query the second name server first. If the DNS client queries the first name server first and fails to communicate with the first name server it may try the second name server or it may give up. It's all dependent on the implementation of the DNS client.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Again, the SOA isn't relevant to DNS client queries. DNS clients don't query for the SOA of a domain (zone) they query for the NS records for a domain. The SOA (while being the most important record) defines global parameters for the zone (such as the default TTL for resource records when a specific TTL is not defined for said resource records), but isn't used by DNS clients in DNS resolution or in the locating of name servers for said zone.

A DNS client trying to query the name servers for your domain may query the first name server first or it may query the second name server first. If the DNS client queries the first name server first and fails to communicate with the first name server it may try the second name server or it may give up. It's all dependent on the implementation of the DNS client.

that does make me feel somewhat better. all of my domain names are for the internet not an intranet. I was concerned that after I had moved my 2nd dns server out of our HQ and into the data center that it would all be for naught if the ttl expired and the dns client went looking for my dns1 which is authoritative for my zones.

Comment

Working...
            X