Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the weight & Priority for DNS service (SRV) resource records in New DC's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the weight & Priority for DNS service (SRV) resource records in New DC's

Hi All,

In my root domain i'm having 2 Physical 2008 R2 DC's and i'll plan to promote 2 New VM 2008 R2 Dc's which i want to dedicate to the "Proxy-authentication".

I want to restrict all other traffics from the Network so that 2 new dc's will be loaded very less.

As per the article i understnd that http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx it can be done by change the weight & Priority for DNS service (SRV) resource records in New DC's.

but i'm not sure which value i can set to that and let me know it will have any impact?

Pls help to set values on 2 new Dc's and i'll not any changes in existing ones and assume it will be treated as higher priority.
    1. Weight for DNS SRV Records in the Registry:
    For example, to configure the system so that the domain controller hosting the PDC emulator role receives requests only half as many times as the other domain controllers, configure the weight of the domain controller hosting the PDC emulator role to be 50. DNS determines the weight ratio for that domain controller to be 50/100 (50 for that domain controller and 100 for the other domain controllers). After you reduce this ratio to 1/2, DNS refers clients to the other domain controllers twice as often as it refers to the domain controller with the reduced weight setting
    Currently 2 Dcs Dc05, DC06 running with default values so in this case for the new one Ill make DC07 as 10/100 & Dc08 20/100 means will it apply the above example?

Priority for DNS SRV Records in the Registry :
    A lower value that is entered for LdapSrvPriority indicates a higher priority. Clients will attempt to use a domain controller with an LdapSrvPriority setting of 0 before a domain controller with an LdapSrvPriority setting of 1, just as domain controllers with LdapSrvPriority settings of 1 would be used before domain controllers with LdapSrvPriority settings of 2.

Assume that if existing dcs not configured the value will be taken as 0 so if Ill make the new dcs values as DC07 50 & DC08 60

Re: Changing the weight & Priority for DNS service (SRV) resource records in New DC'

Not sure if there is enough good reason to introduce two new DCs just for "Proxy-Authentication" and what exactly the requirement are but that's probably beyond this thread.

Besides when you change the DNS record wheight or priority that will have an impact on all the dns resolution requests regarding that record so not quite sure what you are trying to achieve?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Changing the weight & Priority for DNS service (SRV) resource records in New DC'

My goal is to restict the client and al other traffics and make the 2 new dc's queiry lower than the existing dc's.

More number of [ 15,000 Plus] users access proxy and those users will contact AD for validating the Users group infomrtaion hence i dont want remaining loads will cause slowness in this process.

Comment

Working...
      X