Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old host names in DNS - Windows 2008 domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old host names in DNS - Windows 2008 domain?

Hello.

Months ago we merged a couple of domains into a single, new domain. We have three DC's and all run DNS. DNS is Active Directory integrated.

I was just poking around today and noticed that old hostnames from an old domain are in DNS. I've deleted the records but they just return. These computers were re-imaged, so to my knowledge there shouldn't be any residual information from the old domain on the computers.

I've run nslookup and checked for old DNS servers, but the only name servers that are found are the three new DC's, as expected. I've also logged into each DC and deleted the records on each, thinking that possibly the records were being replicated across the domain.

I haven't the slightest idea how these records are being created. Can anyone offer some insight? This is driving me crazy!

Many thanks.

Re: Old host names in DNS - Windows 2008 domain?

hostnames for servers, hostnames for workstations, or SRV records etc ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sorry, these are A records for workstations.

Comment

1. Did you also reset the DNS suffix under network adaptor?
        2 Do an ipconfig /all, look for unwanted DNS suffix
        3. On DNS server, check reverse lookup record
        4. On DHCP server, delete old computer record

try not to put back an old image, instead, try a fresh windows install from disk

Comment

Also, worth a review of Group Policy for settings related to DNS suffix.

Comment

IS DNS "scavenge stale resource records" enabled?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@dnleong: There is no residual DNS suffix, nor any listing in reverse DNS. In the past I have deleted the old records but they have reappeared. These machines have been completely imaged with a brand new image, not the same image that was on them previously.

@Virtual: Group policy is also brand new, but does merit investigation which I'll look into today.

@Ossian: Scavenging is set up and seems to work. Before I started scavenging I was having issues with these old hostnames and IP addresses being attributed to more than a single record, but that has been rectified.

These are all good suggestions. Thanks. Will post once I have a look at GP.

Edit: I've checked GP and there are no DNS policies set. Argh...
              Last edited by Kevindv10; 22nd February 2012, 17:49.

Comment

I took the red pill...

I'm still trying to make sense of this so I apologize if this gets confusing. I'll be as clear as possible with my new findings.

The workstations are Windows 7, meaning that they include support for IPv6.

Logged onto one of the workstations with a current name of CCHS-2109-02 and found the IPv4 address. Looked that address up in DNS on server and found it listed with an old hostname which is 2109-14. On the workstation when I pinged 2109-14 it responded with the IPv4 address listed in DNS. When I pinged the new hostname of CCHS-2109-02, it responded with an IPv6 address. I changed the ping to c:\ping CCHS-2109-02 -4 and it responded with the same IPv4 address that 2109-14 responds with.

I disabled IPv6 on the workstations NIC and deleted the old hostname record on the DNS server, and now I'm waiting for DNS to replicate/update and see what it comes up with.

Comment

Hi dont know if you have this sorted but there is a issue if the host names are in caps and come from a 2003 or previous dc. Although I can't give u the exact fix just google it you will find the msoft fix and deletion instructions.

I had the same problem with some old printers.

Obviously ignore me if it isn't this

Comment

Working...
                  X