• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS server not updating new record

Good day guys

I run AD with DNS and DHCP on 1 domain controller
    Yesterday, I did an upgrade on a laptop which entailed the following

1. Delete the computer account (PC1) from the Active directory compute names (of the old laptop)
    2. Configured my brand new laptop with same computer name (PC1) and joined to domain
    3. Got a DHCP address from the server

Now my issue is as follow.

When i ping the new laptop (PC1) i am directed to the original ip of the first laptop ( IP 10.0.0.33)

When I looked at my new laptop I saw that the IP is 10.0.0.26 and DHCP shows the same in the lease list

I can ping the IP 10.0.0.26 but when trying to resolve the name(PC1), it still points to the old original laptop's IP of 10.0.0.33

When I opened my DNS, i saw that PC1's record is listed and the IP still points to 10.0.0.33

Can I delete the record in the DNS server's dns list (PC1) and run ipconfig /registerdns on the new laptop to have the new dns record be registered on the server?
    The new laptop does show in the event log that the DNS server does not allow the laptop to register the record (because there's an existing record?)

thanks for the help

Re: DNS server not updating new record

Yes, you're on the right track. Delete the old record from DNS then run ipconfig/registerdns on the rebuilt computer.

The reason you have this issue is because AD sees the rebuilt computer as a different computer (because it has a new SID) even though the name is the same. The old computer was the one that registered the record so the rebuilt computer doesn't have the right to update it.

If you had reset the computer account instead of deleting it in ADUC I believe it would then be able to update the DNS record without issue.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks a million JeremyW
      I will go with the reset route next time in ADUC and not delete the computer account obejct.

If I do a ipconfig /release on the old computers before unplugging it from the network, will that also help with the deletion of the DNS records? Or is the reset of the computer account sufficient?

Just to make sure that Im deleting the record correctly.
      I open DNS, expand DNS server and expand Forward lookup zone
      I expand domain.local and in the list of pc names on the appropriate A record, right click and just select delete?
      I will post feedback when the record has been manually deleted and retested
      regards
      Thanks for your help. It is really appreciated
      Last edited by henkl; 27th January 2012, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by henkl View Post
        If I do a ipconfig /release on the old computers before unplugging it from the network, will that also help with the deletion of the DNS records?
        I think doing an ipconfig/release as well as shutting down the computer will deregister the DNS record but I can't find any documentation or test it at the moment.
        Or is the reset of the computer account sufficient?
        I haven't verified this but I believe it's sufficient.

Just to make sure that Im deleting the record correctly.
        I open DNS, expand DNS server and expand Forward lookup zone
        I expand domain.local and in the list of pc names on the appropriate A record, right click and just select delete?
        You got it!
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you JeremyW

Your solution fixed my problem
          I deleted the old dns A record from the DNS list and restarted the new laptop and my new laptop's A record is showing in the dns list and is updating as far as I know

Apologies for the long delay
          Best regards
          Credit to JeremyW

Comment

Glad to help.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment