hey there
    i have an issue goes like that
    Ping hostname got arount 80-10ms respone
    same host but ping it with ip - got 1ms

dns windows server 2008 with 2003 replication both are DC
    any idea where to start lookin up ?

thanks

Re: Slow respone with name fast with ip

When you ping by hostname, did you verify that the IP that is being resolved to is the same IP that you expected?

When you ping by hostname or by IP, the response time should be identical. When you ping by hostname, the first part of the process is for your computer to resolve the hostname. The time it takes to resolve the hostname is NOT part of the response time you see in the results of PING. Once you ping by hostname or by IP, the response time is the time it takes to receive the ICMP packet back from the target.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

hey thanks for replay
      ill explain my self

i`ll give you an example - >
      copy one big file A vmdk file 100gb flat copy from one server to another
      if i use hostname like serv1 to serv2 i got 60-20mb/s transfer rate stable at 50mb/s

if i transfer file between the servers with ip adress like 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.2 i got 100mb/s trasfer stable both connected on 1gb ports.

is this info help us ?
      Last edited by HeadSpin; 21st December 2011, 16:43.

Comment

Again, whether you use the IP or host name to make the connection, that should have no effect on the transfer rate. The only thing that comes to mind is that the host names you are using are not resolving to the IPs in question. Do these systems have more than one NIC installed on each? Maybe the hostnames are resolving to the other set of NICs that you are not using when specifying the IPs?

Is there something special about the application you are using to copy the file over, or are you just using Windows Explorer?

Comment

Originally posted by [JM] View Post
          Again, whether you use the IP or host name to make the connection, that should have no effect on the transfer rate. The only thing that comes to mind is that the host names you are using are not resolving to the IPs in question. Do these systems have more than one NIC installed on each? Maybe the hostnames are resolving to the other set of NICs that you are not using when specifying the IPs?

Is there something special about the application you are using to copy the file over, or are you just using Windows Explorer?
          thanks again jm
          is they do more then 1 nic but only 1 active both have boradcom netexetreme with 4 ports. but only one active.
          when ping host name is the ip of that machine exactly .
          i only uses right now windows copy and paste to see where i lost preformance at my network

ill give you another example i have a windows xp machine of Dev team with one person use it,when he reach some Dev server only with sql when reach the server with the host name ping is not stable (its local network and got to 60ms sometimes) and he got very slow performance when using an ip no problem at all.
          whats going on here?

maby my problem is the machine with 2003 dc? i have both dc one 2003 and one 2008 with both have an replication
          Last edited by HeadSpin; 23rd December 2011, 13:22.

Comment

Well, one way to really see what is happening is by installing packet capture software so that you can anaylize the traffic.

Keep in mind that if you are trying to compare the performance of PING vs COPY, they will never be the same.

In your description, you mention that the problem is that pinging/copying by name is slower than by IP.

Run the packet capture when you copy by IP, then do it again when you copy by name and take a look at the differences in network traffic. It could be that you have additional network protocols installed, or that there is something going on with name resolution in your network that is causing delays and other network related slowdowns.

Wireshark is free and easy to use.

Comment

Working...
            X